Like? Dont like?

Stephen

Hmm, there some black rubed color near the ashi on the saya. So i thought the fittings are painted. If you look on the damage parts on the fittings the color is thick on that parts.

post-3496-0-86483000-1583684456_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-59743200-1583684466_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-22554600-1583684482_thumb.jpg

Same is full with black particles too. I think it is thin sprayed with black color.

• Like 1

Another one of those "Could go either way" items.  On some of the parts, like the inside of the seppa, the paint looks old; but then on the outside is looks new.

For me the telling item is the sayajiri was worn to the point that the detailing was ground off, yet the black paint is there.  So it's either a re-paint during the war, or a post-war paint job.

post-3487-0-61732600-1583690340_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have seen a few special ordered original type 98s which had mon menuki and appear to have had all the fittings silver plated. The fittings had all turned black due to the action of sulfides over the years. The item in question does not seem to have been done the same way.

• Like 1

I’m always amazed at your swords, Neil, just out of curiosity, how ,any do you have and how long did it take you to gather it? If you think I’m being too curious, please say so and I’ll apologize in advance.

To my eyes, recently painted. If you look at Omura's examples, and the examples in my collection, seppas are not Usually blackened.

Im in agreement with Neil,

It appears to be either a attempted copy of a imperial gift sword, but with out the habaki this is debatable, or a full blown restoration or just made from scratch.

The paint taces left after reassemble is a good clue. I would say the saya is new, and the seppa have been closed up in the locking clip to reduce sloppy latching. Also the ishizuke is not evan matching imho and warn, but then painted, or oxidized. Same can be said for the ashi

Still a nice piece, i would like to see the blade it was made to house, to justify the effort

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..