TANTO

Welcome to NMB. Please sign all of your posts with your first name so we know how to address you. That's easiest to do in your Profile Signature.

I've seen Kanji in that same nakago location, but it wasn't a mei (signature). I don't recall just why they wrote anything there.

Thanks for your answer. I am new to the site and i need help. Here is a photo of blade and mounting. It is a mumei blade

* Provenance
Taken to Sweden by doctor Karl Rudberg participants of the world tour with Vanadis 1883 - 1885. HMS Vanadis was Sweden's first and only steam frigate.

shinshinto/meiji ?
nagasa 9 inches
ubu nakago
1 mekugiana
jihada itame masame
hamon suguha / komidare

//Robert

post-5299-0-43001800-1583695230_thumb.jpeg

post-5299-0-35184500-1583695248_thumb.jpeg

post-5299-0-54813000-1583695281_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

We have discussed mune markings before, but in the context of WWII blades. This one is a puzzle. I don’t know of a reference book on the subject either. The first kanji looks like a “Ko”, which on a WWII blade would be a Kokura arsenal inspector mark. I can’t tell if the other marks are intended to be 4 horizontal lines or another faded kanji.

I have read that a Togishi sometimes wrote a signature on nakago / mune. My question is that correct? I am interested if others have read it somewhere.

Thank you for helping me in my thoughts.

Robert M. Unger

ロバート アンガー

Hi Robert

I have come across marks on the Mune of the tang on old pre-war blades and was led to believe they were polisher marks.

if you had several polishers working together (school) etc you can keep track of who polished what? 
Only what I have been informed in the past.

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..