need help with translation

b.hennick

Not my area of knowledge, but it starts with the single kanji 義 and the smith is 満足 Manzoku, a name I recognize because there is a Manzoku making tamahagane and swords in Osafune today. (諸㕝 is... shoji?) Perhaps someone can flesh this out?

義 諸満足

• Like 1

My guess is that the last four is a phrase rather than a name. Maybe a kind of dedication. I was thinking the sword might be an award of appreciation, 諸㕝(事)満足 being the equivalent of "for exemplary work in all matters", but I can't find any references to this phrase. 

諸㕝満足

Is there nothing above the 義 ?

• Like 3

I was just looking at this again this morning. There is a phrase 諸事万端 (shoji-bantan) which just means "everything" (perhaps a bit more poetic). There is also a buddhist phrase 諸行無常 (shogyō-mujyō) which, in essence, means all things change, nothing is permanent.  I'm just puzzled by the 満足 on the inscription on the sword. I agree with Trystan in that it is a wish for everything to be fine, rather than a phrase praising some deed done. 

• Like 1

If the Gi, and Shoji Manzoku are related, then it could be a prayer or a wish by the owner, the shrine or the smith. (Just idle thinking.)

"Valuing honor, full pride/commitment/responsibility as to how all things turn out."

Hmmm... it almost sounds like the motto of a military unit. Barry, nothing else written on the nakago? 

*****However, subsequently found this line about Minamoto no Yoritomo...

頼朝は、何事も自分の意図を先んじて汲み取る満足していた。

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=QHdNDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT55&lpg=PT55&dq=%E7%BE%A9+%E8%AB%B8%E4%BA%8B%E3%80%80%E6%BA%80%E8%B6%B3&source=bl&ots=canhbUpW47&sig=ACfU3U0LrWBFqXgRJmEpDQQIKIWT2hAs2g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiulPbVyIzoAhWkHqYKHQJZDXcQ6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=%E7%BE%A9%20%E8%AB%B8%E4%BA%8B%E3%80%80%E6%BA%80%E8%B6%B3&f=false

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..