Juyo Biyutsu Den Mihara Masahiro

Its possible the tsuba may have been swapped recently, its also possible it was all cobbled together many years ago.

Bad fitting seppa are a bit of a sore point for me, but you see them often, even on koshirae in the Tokyo museum. Perhaps the Samurai of old were not so pedantic.

Basic replacement seppa are cheap, maybe a different tsuba, up to the new owner to decide if a re-cobble is in order.

So, Fuuten:

I was hoping when you posted that you could comment on the quality or lack thereof, characteristics of the blade, agreeing / disagreeing with the judgement :)) trying to stimulate a deeper discussion here is getting more and more difficult, I have regretfully noticed.

So, to give an example: this is a top quality Mihara, with fine jigane. That is probably the reason that was attributed to Masahiro, who together with Masaie is the top of the Ko-Mihara crop. Of course, very few mumei blades have been attributed directly to Masahiro, but there are plenty of zaimei Masahiro in order to know what his workmanship is like.

The koshirae is poor in comparison and it might not have been packaged with the original blade.

Discussing ongoing auctions is not banned here, but the type of debate you are advocating (and not contemplating purchasing it) would very much affect the sale in either direction, and I can understand people not being willing to debate it.
Best to find ended items for this. Or ask for info/opinions if you are contemplating buying it. It's always a fine line we tread when we discuss dealer items. Or dealers.

• Like 1

Yes, Brian, apologies if we overstepped. Indeed, it is best to discuss sold items. Actually, my view on the above item was positive but I don’t want to do other people’s marketing here. Please feel free to delete and also erase the opportunity to learn and engage in an intellectual debate.

Coming back to the debate. I like this sword very much (perhaps nor surprisingly consdiering my Aoe/Yamashiro/Yamato obsession) I have said in the past I have never seen a ko-Mihara blade with a bad shape, they always look elegant and in proportion. This one also enjoys beautiful Jigane and a lot of fine activity within the hamon so I can well understand why it is regarded so highly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..