Any information about this piece is welcome.Thank you.

roger dundas

I would very much be interested in any information that anyone could offer me about this tsuba.

I'm not sure why I bought it because I don't particularly like it. Possibly because I thought a fair bit of work had gone into it and the price seemed cheap- $ 170 US in 2015, (but maybe this wasn't cheap ?) These are among the things I don't know.

73 x 70 x 6mm and quite heavy.

Attractive black colour.

Roger d.

post-4273-0-71596000-1580442928_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-35989700-1580442943_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-25404600-1580442972_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-64873100-1580442993_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-49311500-1580443009_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank's for your comment Ken. My wife is the photographer and she will appreciate your remark. Actually we weren't happy with the first lot of pictures taken and posted and redid them, particularly after comparing them with her photos of two Soten tsuba posted about December 23 or so which turned out well.

Will the Board chastise me if I stray a little off topic and go back to( your) Aiado practice and discussion of earlier this year when you said you have practiced the discipline for, was it 20 odd years and without a cut. 

Thinking about this interesting fact , it strikes me that it would need the  strongest concentration and the best of instinctive and practiced reactions. And I presume the same for piloting a Phantom or most jet planes.

What I am alluding to is how also many, maybe all Samurai sword skills depended on these natural traits, refined by training and repetition. Otherwise, you're not here tomorrow.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Roger d.

• Like 1

Thanks once more Jean for your comment . Maybe(probably by the look of it) I did pay too much for it- $170US in 2015 ?

I have been uncertain as to just how this pieces was made, even wondering if some of the leaves and flowers hadn't been welded on- this might be a dumb consideration - I hadn't thought of it being cast at all .

The thing is that I am just unsure how to recognize some construction methods but this NMB has been just great for such as me in showing so many great things- including on the for sale section and the comments here.

Roger d.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..