A SHORT BUT INTERESTING ARTICLE ON SAIGO TAKAMORI

Interesting article, if memory serves me correctly the famous statue and subsequent portraits were modeled after his brother. Saigo himself was renowned for having quite the prodigious beard. Some fine Ukiyo-e prints of him and the Boshin war here: http://www.ukiyoe-ota-muse.jp/exhibition-eng/ukiyo-e-from-the-end-of-the-edo-period-to-the-meiji-period

post-3926-0-89628600-1580436024_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Well-written, emotive article, even if it fails to mentions the years of punishment and misery he suffered as a repeat castaway. 

PS If this article gripped you in the right way, then I would highly recommend the year-long 2018 Taiga Drama 'Sego-Don'. Not sure where and how to watch it though.

There is an article on Saigo's swords in programme 126 of the Token Society of Great Britain . It is a translation of an article by Fukunaga Suiken .The Saigo families sword record book apparently lists 63 blades ranging from high to poor quality . Amongst the former are a Rai Kunitoshi ,  three Muramasa ( although only one is signed ) and an orikaeshi mei Nobukuni . The Nobukuni is described as the Gunto which Saigo Takamori used to wear during the Meiji revolution . I guess this is possibly some sort of kyu gunto mount .It interested me that even an apparently modest samurai family would have that many blades.

Ian Brooks

• Like 5

This photo is from my visit on Kagoshima at 2013. Taken from Meiji Restoration Museum (which houses His tabi, armor, letters, etc.). It's a subject of debate whether or not these swords are Saigos originals. Still great examples of original Satsuma koshirae of the period (preaumed Naminohira-school). P.S. photographing was not allowed, but the curator gave me a permission to take this one photo.

post-2095-0-27693000-1580838449_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well-written, emotive article, even if it fails to mentions the years of punishment and misery he suffered as a repeat castaway. 

PS If this article gripped you in the right way, then I would highly recommend the year-long 2018 Taiga Drama 'Sego-Don'. Not sure where and how to watch it though.

All, yes the NHK drama was quite good, I thought. My mom (93) and I watched it. Although the ending did not depict his seppuku. I guess that's due to the government ban on "militarism"? As you know, Mishima Yukio depicted this quite graphically in his novella - Patriotism.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..