You have eome nihonto, do you bag em or rack them? Show them or tuck them away safely?

So I collect many things. Mark twain 1st editions, variations of thinker statues, odd bits and bobs and I tend to decorate with them. I've got enough swords now that I have to ask myself.....bag em or rack them. I have seen some side discussions in my forum searches on people's rack choices but not many. Would love to see what other people have chosen! I've decided to purchase an older sword rack but still not sure if I will display them. Luckily this rack is collapsible! Anyone else go the rack route and want to share? I'll update with a photo once I receive it in the mail from Japan and populate it with my swords. This one holds five, I only had four so after purchasing one more sword last night I can fill it. Couldnt have one spot blank. Also just thought this rack and its portability was pretty neat.

Here are photos of it: https://ibb.co/album/mnrBBF

• Like 2

So I collect many things. Mark twain 1st editions, variations of thinker statues, odd bits and bobs and I tend to decorate with them. I've got enough swords now that I have to ask myself.....bag em or rack them. I have seen some side discussions in my forum searches on people's rack choices but not many. Would love to see what other people have chosen! I've decided to purchase an older sword rack but still not sure if I will display them. Luckily this rack is collapsible! Anyone else go the rack route and want to share? I'll update with a photo once I receive it in the mail from Japan and populate it with my swords. This one holds five, I only had four so after purchasing one more sword last night I can fill it. Couldnt have one spot blank. Also just thought this rack and its portability was pretty neat.

Here are photos of it: https://ibb.co/album/mnrBBF

Personally I keep them oiled in a Shirasaya and on a rack so that rust is harder to form. I've read that keeping them in the bag, say inside a drawer or something, can lead to problems.

I've read that keeping them in the bag, say inside a drawer or something, can lead to problems.

Not quite. The katanadansu is made specifically to store blades long-term. They are amazingly air-tight, & my blades have resided there for many years, with no sign of rust, although I do oil them regularly.

post-233-0-05370400-1580187716_thumb.jpg

post-233-0-13034000-1580187684_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Not quite. The katanadansu is made specifically to store blades long-term. They are amazingly air-tight, & my blades have resided there for many years, with no sign of rust, although I do oil them regularly.

Katanadansu.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Nice! I assume that's antique?

I was referring to something more generic, like a sock and underwear drawer lol

Hey, Bruce -- that's a good spot already. I like to stand mine up, too.   Maybe use a small rack and rotate them for show or study.

Neil -- Good looking collection, there.  Always enjoy seeing your fine specimens. Was surprised to see them with edges down.

Adam -- Better get another rack. You're just getting started.   Welcome to the madness. There is no cure.

post-4002-0-19327600-1580388655_thumb.jpeg

This is how I had mine stored up till a month ago. I am in the process of moving so all have been packed away for now. This picture is my living room. I will be making a dedicated room in the new home to put everything back up. I love having my collection out where I can appreciate it every time I walk by. You would be surprised how many times you notice something new about a old sword that you can look at. Thanks for looking.
     MikeR

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I had a floor stand made that has place for 8 blades. The stand allows the blades to be rotated so that each on catches the light well. I am attaching photos of one side rail and one insert that allows for rotation. Inserts are on only one side of the stand. I think that you can modify this to a wall rack. Any merchant that sells plastics should be able to make one of these. 

post-40-0-64049000-1585424231_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-97298400-1585424240_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-99848300-1585424248_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-86842700-1585424256_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-25217800-1585424264_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-08255000-1585424271_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-29599400-1585424278_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..