Possible Kagemitsu tachi. Signed and in polish

• 2 weeks later...

It finally arrived. I will post series of quick pictures. Please forgive the background. Katana does appear to be a correct Kagemitsu Kamakura era unless you see something different. Polish is still very good with just minor scratches. Koshirae is older with some wear. Saya motif matches the fuchi. Kashira is some sort of bone. I cannot tell what menuki signifies. Everything looks very good and correct. My only complaint was packing by the inexperienced seller. Plenty of bubble wrap but blade was not secured to saya. It slid out at a bad moment and almost took the whole finger with it. I will not be posting the stitches picture...

post-1125-0-25283500-1581199282_thumb.jpeg

post-1125-0-78307100-1581199302_thumb.jpeg

post-1125-0-05116600-1581199337_thumb.jpeg

post-1125-0-57771100-1581199366_thumb.jpeg

Gustaf, the mei is extremely fresh. The mei and the nakago have no appearance of age as you would expect from the Kamakura period. The sword is also katana-mei. The sugata, hamon, etc all have the feel of a much later work. There were a number of smiths who signed Kagemitsu, as indicated in my link above. Gimei is also possible.

• Like 3

Gustaf, the mei is extremely fresh. The mei and the nakago have no appearance of age as you would expect from the Kamakura period. The sword is also katana-mei. The sugata, hamon, etc all have the feel of a much later work. There were a number of smiths who signed Kagemitsu, as indicated in my link above. Gimei is also possible.

Bingo bango bongo case closed. The mei and nakago look very young. Kamakura is totally out of the realm of possibility here.

Hi Gustaf, welcome to the world of collecting, although you have a Gimei you also have quite a nice sword on your now bandaged hands! You can have the sword sent to the NTHK-NPO for shinsa, I believe they will give an attribution while ignoring the mei. Your other option is to have the mei professionally removed by a Togishi and sent for Shinsa to the NBTHK.

Excellent points. I will park it for a while and might take later to a show if one pops up close by. Since my investment was not a large one I’m happy overall with what I got. I’m grateful for all the advice and responses. This is one of the best boards I visited.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..