A 500 year old blade? Known maker?

waljamada

I appreciate the advice. On top of the blade (I actually like straight hamons most) I like the guard, the family Crest is a bonus and the fact the sword is over 27 inches but do want my next purchase that would hold its value to both a seasoned collector's eye as well as the casual.

I think this sword will NOT hold its value. It was a mass produced weapon that does not reflect or represent the artistry and high craft of Japanese swords. The tsuba is a nice example of a type that has attracted some attention. And the recycled WWII era menuki with a family crest are mildly interesting. But I doubt that there will ever be serious interest in this sort of sword.

Peter

• Like 1

The consensus is to be implemented. I shall pass on this sword.

I appreciate the advice and insight. I will keep honing my eye and continue learning.

It's a direful market out here in the nihonto market for a guy searching for a quality sub $800 sword.

The quest continues!

Wise of you to check first, Adam, rather than wanting a refund. Just remember that for $800, you're not going to find a top-of-the-line blade.

You're probably looking for your first blade, & are anxious, but please consider building up your budget, while you do some studying to figure out what you want to collect.

Hi Ken,

Yes, I'm still a very early collector and currently in the middle of an attempt to get a top-of-the-line for the $800ish range sword. I'm in a phase where I want a few to hold, see, feel, study and learn alongside (also learning how to care for them) until I cocoon in as a buyer/collector to emerge later and more powerful. I know full well it will not be top end but looking for the best I can. It's also quite interesting seeing the range of swords and blade types/styles and I wouldn't mind owning the blade of a carpenter's son so to speak. Just want it to be a talented carpenter who had an eye for quality and a good deal within his means.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..