Wakizashi with white spots

DoTanuki yokai

That is the result if someone use the wrong oil !

Especially in Germany many people think that the cheap WD40 is good for conservation of steel!

It is not !

In this oil some aggressive elements etch the surface and the result is you have these white , blind looking spots on the surface.

• Like 1

Dear Ken.

I was about to say that a sword bent and then straightened = shinae but having checked I discover that it is not so simple. See here, http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/flaws.html

I had not realised that the transverse cracks caused by poor work in the steel were also called shinae.

However I do not think that either of these cases apply to the sword posted.

All the best.

• Like 1

post-790-0-68232400-1579186846_thumb.jpg

in the red marked area you see white spots in the Hamon ! 

That mean to me that the spots can´t be tobiyaki.

That was the reason why i write that it might be possible that someone use agressive oil and damage the surface.

post-790-0-46028300-1579187058_thumb.jpg

And here is a exampel of a blade where the owner tell me that he use WD40 for conservation .........the result is terribel !

I have see this blade absolut clean , without these white areas 6 Month bevor by the previous owner.

But .....these are just my two cent´s

• Like 3

Sometimes white spots are actually little areas of black nie (tobiyaki?) Or similar

Usually in the dark, using a LED flashlight, you can see that theyre actually black spots.

Then again it could be anything. Scratches, old removed rust spots, a bubble under the steel, etc...

Here is what the "white spots" really look like under certain light. Little clouds of Nie

post-4634-0-57201900-1579290214_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..