Sharpness of a sword? Auction problem

I sold a sword over a auction plattform - starting price 1 EUR.

I described what i know about the sword and give a lot pictures at the auction.

There where a lot of different bidders in the auction and the sword goes for a relative cheap price to italy.

The offer was a private offer - no return and exclusion of warranty and liability for defects

Some days later i got mail from the buyer, that the sword is beautiful but not sharp. Because it is not sharp he want give it back.

I said to him that sharpness was not described in the offer, and he didn't asked about anything. I don't take it back.

Now he wrote tons of mails and offend me. I got a mail from him from the auction house in which they said he should make a report because of fraud.

:dunno:

Crazy?

WTF? I wonder how the buyer tested for sharpness? Or what he is thinking as a supposed collector of Nihonto? Since when is "sharpness" a thing in modern antique collecting? I mean, I could see if this was circa 1500 but today?

This entire thing just makes me angry for some reason. I can picture that person showing off the sword to friends..."Hey check out the beautiful Sugata and the detailed Hada and Hamon. The forging is flawless! BUT IT'S NOT SHARP SO IT'S CRAP"

Given, I must have gotten lucky because several Nihonto I have found in the past are O-Wazimono (or at the least really freaking sharp) but I wouldn't hate them if they weren't sharp. They're antiques, not modern swords meant for action.

Please keep us informed on this and if the auction house tries giving you problems, contact me and I'll help you walk through it. I've been dealing with unruly buyers for many years now.

• Like 1

I found it sharp. I cut myself during making pictures. I have posted it here in the forum  :laughing:

But i think he awaits a o-wazamono blade  :bang:

And the pictures shows clearly out of polish...

Btw: I never have looked or tested if one of my blades are sharp. Thats not important for me. I never touch a blade with bare hands.

• Like 1

I found it sharp. I cut myself during making pictures. I have posted it here in the forum  :laughing:

But i think he awaits a o-wazamono blade  :bang:

And the pictures shows clearly out of polish...

Btw: I never have looked or tested if one of my blades are sharp. Thats not important for me. I never touch a blade with bare hands.

That was the mystery blade much commented here, right?

how could he expect a sharp sword from such an out of polish blade? The stupidity of some people baffles me!  :dunno:

He probably tried slicing strips of paper or something. Japanese swords don't particularly require being "razor" sharp, a sword that feels blunt will still cut you deeply with a drawing motion. Perhaps 3 of my swords would be "razor" sharp, the rest would still be plenty sharp enough for their intended purpose.

This gone like muppet show. Buyer says it don't cut paper. Auction house "egun" gives him right, that a katana must be sharp.  :laughing:

They didn't correspond with me and gave me no names or answers, only the webmaster e-mail. They rated me as a defrauder.  :bang:

So beware only sell swords that cut paper easy. He bid the sword up to 565 EUR + shipping (47 bids and 12 bidder)

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=7772644

7772644.1020861348.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..