Show off your Nihonto book collection

Here is mine, I've been focusing on books for the last few years maybe even over swords. :o I just feel like I can't usually afford the swords I would like for a good while and on the other hand I can get super interesting books that bring me joy. I've been trying to focus my book collecting too, and I am trying to be more picky on what I will get in future. There are just so many interesting books out there that I would love to have.

post-381-0-70638100-1578671650_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Ok John,

here you go. behind the doors of the cupboards at the bottom of the main unit are more than 350 copies of the NBTHK magazines in boxes. I think the earliest dates from 1965

The top shelf on the right hand column holds firearm reference books all the rest you see are Nihonto references. 

This is in one room all auction catalogues and less often used books are in another one

(I think therapy might be  in order!!)

post-15-0-11388200-1578672298_thumb.jpgpost-15-0-81409800-1578672311_thumb.jpgpost-15-0-46328100-1578672327_thumb.jpgpost-15-0-59042500-1578672348_thumb.jpgpost-15-0-25043500-1578672363_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

My office is too 'discombobulated' to take a picture, books all over the place, but nice to see the members' books.

Some very good libraries there...but one thing I noticed (maybe I missed it?)  is I don't see any copy of 'NIHONTO MEIKAN' by Homma & Ishii.

A very good research tool for members - I prefer the pre-1996 edition.

Regards,

• Like 1

I own a few books and guess I am a bit of a book collector.  Some of them are a bit redundant, but as Franco mentioned in Stephans post, having various sources gives you additional options to compare.

Make no mistake, books are still very, very useful and I would never get rid of mine, yet I have come to appreciate Ebooks. At first, I didn't want anything to do with Ebooks, but after giving them a try I love them. They are very handy on the go, very fast in looking up info.  When researching, you don't have to thumb through pages of material.  Go to the search box, type in the name and everything related pops up. 

Yet, they are not all inclusive and the manual legwork of looking up oshigata in the books is still a very necessary and enjoyable task.

Ok, enough yada, yada and on to the book photos:

My library consists of some 150+ books on swords and fittings and way over 200 various sword related publications. Only the top right shelf contain unrelated material

In the large photo I placed a full length Naginata pole in the center for scale.

One of my Hawley's along one of my Nihonto Meikan are signed by the authors.

No matter what I try I can not get the Hawley's photo to orient correctly.

post-10-0-49939400-1578762071_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-70842600-1578762083_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-39034000-1578762108_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-13123000-1578762612_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Ha! Isn't that from a Harry Potter movie? If not, Hollywood needs to see it for future films!

Err.....no honest Bruce, its my sword book collection, been looking for Dotanuki all day    :laughing:

Seriously though, nice to see such collections  :clap:

• Like 1

The greatest library I have ever seen is Robert Burawoy’s one. Books by hundred on wooden shelves screwed in the walls, bent by the sheer books weight or piling up on the floor and this among armours, yumi on their stands...

• Like 1

Err.....no honest Bruce, its my sword book collection, been looking for Dotanuki all day    :laughing:

Seriously though, nice to see such collections  :clap:

Wow, Alex! That's quite a collection of books! You should add it to the "What else do you collect" NMB thread: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/29919-what-else-do-you-collect/?hl=%2Bwhat+%2Belse+%2Bcollect

Alex,

Unfortunately not. I promsed myself I would take on the translation of the kantei blades illustrated when I retired. Now 3 years in and still havent started. They are a great resource that some day I will at least index but at the moment they are just taking up a lot of space (and they weigh a ton!)

Mine is growing (eeerrr! I mean my library folks, you’re not doing me that much effect!) :)

But it’s all over the place at the moment so no pics. Most is in English and French though except for a few tomes in Japanese.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..