Female breast plate

Nickupero

That's a coffee table book about Indian arms and armour. The one pictured is probably new certainly the goldwork is. Although there are a large group of 18th century ones like this from Hyderabad issued to soldiers in the nizams service. I have a few if anyone's interested. No connection with the fake nonsense that the thread is about

That's a coffee table book about Indian arms and armour. The one pictured is probably new certainly the goldwork is. Although there are a large group of 18th century ones like this from Hyderabad issued to soldiers in the nizams service. I have a few if anyone's interested. No connection with the fake nonsense that the thread is about

It was a photo I shared. I don’t zero interest in this otherwise. What I did learn though is that you seem downright rude. Please sign your name to your posts so we know who you are as we know what you are. Mark

Hi Mark, there was no rudeness intended and I can't even see any that you might have picked up in my post, certainly not any towards you. Referring to the book it is simply a picture of a cuirass. That is the only resemblance to the other one in the post. The leather type thing in the first post is notable by having fairly crude white metal dragon inlay that you often find on similarly crude tibetan style fake helmets on the market masquerading as real. I guess also made in China. I'm only slightly offended by your rudeness towards me for totally non-existent rudeness towards you so that's ok mark
Regards Stef

Stef,
You seem to have skipped the part where you prove it is modern Indian metalwork. How do we jump from "what is this...it is claimed to be ancient Mongolian" to suddenly having proved it is modern and Indian? You need to fill in the gap before you can jump to that conclusion.

• Like 2

That's fair enough Brian. The modern Indian metalwork bit was referring to the bizarre armour thing with cobras at the shoulders. Where to start... There's no such thing as Temple armour, there are no surviving armours that bear any resemblance to this, the construction is clumsy and impractical, the metal work is crude and not displaying any particular Indian regional styles apart from generic motifs, the finish and patina is consistent with modern work, the Indian tourist market is well known to make a huge variety of fantasy and fantastical items... Similar assessments as I would make on the Mongolian style cuirass plate actually. Maybe a movie prop

Fair enough on that one. But the confusion comes in with comments like "..No connection with the fake nonsense that the thread is about" which kinda states that the original item in the first post is a modern fake? I don't recall us coming to that conclusion?
Always good to make it clear what we are referring to and to avoid 100% absolute statements. But a good discussion if we can avoid the unpleasantness.

Fair enough on that one. But the confusion comes in with comments like "..No connection with the fake nonsense that the thread is about" which kinda states that the original item in the first post is a modern fake? I don't recall us coming to that conclusion?

Always good to make it clear what we are referring to and to avoid 100% absolute statements. But a good discussion if we can avoid the unpleasantness.

yes get that Brian. I just meant by that that in my opinion it is a modern fake or movie prop possibly, which in my eyes makes it nonsense in confusing people who aren't familiar with real things of this nature. No unpleasantness intended. With the level of detail and knowledge on this forum about Nihonto which is mind boggling in its complexity to me it, I have frequently seen swords flippantly described in comments as chinese junk, nonsense etc, so I'm surprised that its a big deal. This is that equivelant in armour terms

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..