Tsukamaki

Steffieeee

Many years ago there was circulated a sheet of different wraps that a traditional tsukamakishi family published showing about 8 -10 wraps. One was described as 'senior samurai of the Shonai Han' another as 'lower class samurai of the Shonai Han'. This suggests some groups did have their own identifiable styles. I have a katana done two colours, buff and black, and I have seen other swords in this two colour combination. So I think the answer is at least a partial yes.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

SAS, Yes, the swords for the Shogunal court had to be mounted in shakudo with absolutely plain shakudo tsuba and a horn kashira. I have a hilt with the fuchi in shakudo nanako, with mon also in shakudo and the obligatory horn kashira. I have a feeling I have the tsuba tucked away somewhere as well. The whole idea seems to have been not to present anything flashy when crawling towards the Shogun on one's knees.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 5

As SAS says ( this use of cryptic identifiers drives me crazy - if you were talking  to me face to face I hope you wouldn't hide your head in a bucket) the wakizashi would be worn and even that would be limited in size. In the 1680's the Tokugawa decreed the maximum length should be about 15".

Bald head the Unworthy.

• Like 3

Dear Ian, SAS stands for Steven Arthur Shimanek.....aka Steve the Bald.....Buckethead is a talented guitarist; me, i try, but not close :laughing:

Steffiieee, there is a book on tsukamaki that explains numerous styles that would be good to have and may answer some questions; it is early here and i am not awake yet, but i think Buck is the author's last name.

First you need to make a tsukamaki tying jig to hold the tsuka while you do the wrap. Very hard (I think) on the fingers.  I did the same very, very brief course with Master Ichinose that David did at the 68(?) Token Tai Kai in Chicago. I've tied a few tsuka for my own swords a long time ago; I was please with the results although a pro would find them  amaturish. It is fairly difficult getting started, but after doing a couple it gets easier. The finishing top knot/tie-off is what I found the most difficult. There are several instructional pages/sites on the net but I'm sure you will run into problems your first couple attempts - good luck and best wishes for good results.

Rich

• Like 1

The Tsukamaki book by Thomas Buck has many styles and instructions to do them. It is very nice book and I'd recommend getting one if you are interested. I sold mine a while ago but it was nice to have it.

I believe these are the tsukamaki style sheets that Ian mentioned earlier.

TsukamakiStyles Part1.pdf

TsukamakiStyles Part2.pdf

• Like 1

Dear Steff.

If you are trying this then you definitely need this book that Jussi recommended, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Tsukamaki-Pocket-Thomas-Buck/dp/1505226147/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+art+of+Tsukamaki&qid=1578928345&sr=8-1

Lots of really useful practical advice and clear diagrams.  The author is the person who runs the website that Ed suggested.

Look forward to seeing some of your work.

All the best.

Dear Steff.

You can sure pick 'em!  Managed to find one image, (In Markus Sesko, Encyclopedia of Japanese Swords), and did a mock up of the knot to show how it works.  It is not something I have ever seen.  What makes you so keen to try this wrap?

post-1607-0-85101400-1579603534_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

All the best.

oh nice thanks very much Geraint.  I think it looks awesome, and I think it would totally go with the sword I,m trying. generally I seem to make life difficult for myself by wanting something other than easy options. I,m surprised there aren't more people who do this stuff tbh

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Members, good Morning,

I am Gábor Fodor from Czech Republic. I would like to ask you about this type of tsukamaki.

I would like to learn how to do it but I didn't find any information about it.

Thanks in advence, my best wishes for you all!

GF

84345788_852354291861151_518238862833614

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for spotting that geraint, it was there all the time!... That's certainly a mouthful... Any idea what Akita, satake means?, it's written underneath that hilt style, are they regions?

Some googling later, yes satake is in Akita province, right up in the North...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..