Help identifying sword please

mh2324

I don’t know if there are some better than others but I’ve used that one before and it worked fine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sword-Tsuba-Choji-Oil-20-ml-Metal-Polish-Care-ONLY-5-at-this-price/303400554378?hash=item46a4150f8a:g:MzIAAOSwx0teCWFY

I think you can use ivory/antler yourself on the tang, I would be very careful if there is some on the blade. Only remove the active rust. Don’t strip the patina on the nakago (tang) as it would remove a lot of value to the blade (patina is used in determining age, the blacker it is, the older). And don’t use too much oil or it might pool and create rust. The best way is to use a folded paper napkin to apply it lightly, then a second, clean one to gently remove the excess.

Yes, your method for limiting the splitting of the saya is very good.

heres a great site to help you with the terminology:

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/glossry.htm

Not sure if you can get anything from Fred L. at the moment.  He had a stroke a while back and he is slowly recovering, but I don't think he has returned to work.  His son was helping him but I do not know if he is helping with the business or not.

If you write and get no response, you will know why.

That’s great information. Thank you. I’ll order that camellia oil tonight then. Any suggestions on a sword bag to store it in? It’ll be horizontal on a shelf in a Gun safe with dehumidifier inside. Also, is it worth getting that split in the sheath repaired or just do the temporary repair as spoken about previously with the paper and masking tape? Here are the additional pics requested earlier of the blade. Hopefully these suffice. Thank you all again.

post-5226-0-49933400-1578270787_thumb.jpeg

In the condition it is in, I wouldn't worry with any fancy oil or shirasaya repair.  Clean the blade with denatured alcohol and oil it with 3-n-1 or gun oil.  Use the masking paper trick, or wrap cellophane tightly around it.  Although, shirasaya repair would not be difficult or expensive.

If you decide to polish the blade then you will need a new shirasaya and you can use traditional oil if you like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..