Masahiro ?

luisboni

Thanks for you input Ray and John.

Dual Mei Inscriptions

Regarding the mei, your comments have developed the following observations and questions. Reverse mei looks blemished away, by time I may suppose. Presuming the blade mei is Gi Mei, maybe the Gi Mei inscriptions can assist determining the blade time period. If that is so, then:

• What time period did Kunitsugu worked as a Smith?
  • Does this time period overlaps with Masahiro’s (1600’s)?
  • Is the blade characteristics similar to blades of this time periods?

Presuming both mei are authentic: is there anything that the community has seen out there as a double smith forged katana? Or in the other hand this is a mu mei with a Gi mei inscription.

Blade characteristics

Looking at the blade I found it quite attractive in particular its hamon and its current condition. I have to ask: Am I looking at a genuine Edo period nihonto, a gendaito or neither (fake blade)?

My aim was to buy a gendaito that was traditionally forged and used possibly in WW2.  Did I fail in my search? =(  

What could be this item value?

Any input in my observations and questions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

This does not appear to be a gendaito. I would lean towards the blade being shinto. There were a number of smiths who signed,l Kunitsugu, this will require some legwork to determine whether there was an authentic Kunitsugu mei and for which smith, however it appears that the mei was removed (rather than being deteriorated).

Additional note, aside from the formation of the mei Masahiro the sword itself does not appear to be in the style of Shinto Hojoji.  

Hi  Luis

the curvature if a true reflection in your photo " may suggest a Kanban -Shinto style sori "  roughly about circa 1650 ,   but they also made swords in the Shin-Shinto period that  were also made with  little sori.    

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..