Help with Translation of Good Luck Flag Mei

Hello Everyone!

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask about this item but I didn't see a better more specific room to post.

My brother, gave me this Good Luck Flag for Christmas which he has owned for many years.  It would be nice if someone could translate the writing. Also, I read where items like this can be returned to the families of the soldier, any idea how to go about it?

Thanks,

Chuck

post-5163-0-94201500-1577641996_thumb.jpgpost-5163-0-48416500-1577642013_thumb.jpgpost-5163-0-59171500-1577642025_thumb.jpgpost-5163-0-18072500-1577642037_thumb.jpgpost-5163-0-62882500-1577642050_thumb.jpgpost-5163-0-51289600-1577642061_thumb.jpg

I can't help with the translation, but returning items like these can bring up many uncomfortable and even painful issues for the families of the fallen. i personally do not think it is received in the same way it is meant, and do not recommend it.

• Like 2

I can't help with the translation, but returning items like these can bring up many uncomfortable and even painful issues for the families of the fallen. i personally do not think it is received in the same way it is meant, and do not recommend it.

I understand what you are saying and did not think of it in that manner.

Post Edit:

However, after reading on the topic I found this website http://obonsociety.org

There are letters of endorsement even from the PM Shinzo Abe endorsing the return of items.

http://obonsociety.org/why-it-is-important/

It shows four names radiating out from the center

菊池? Kikuchi (personal name illegible to me  昇?昴?)
福末次    Fukusue Tsugu (various readings)
原周次郎 Hara Shujirō
小原耕 Kohara/Ohara Osamu (various readings)

There are no clues as to who the recipient/owner is. 

It shows four names radiating out from the center

菊池? Kikuchi (personal name illegible to me  昇?昴?)
福末次    Fukusue Tsugu (various readings)
原周次郎 Hara Shujirō
小原耕 Kohara/Ohara Osamu (various readings)

There are no clues as to who the recipient/owner is. 

Steve,

I thank you for your time Sir.

I don't know it to be possible for the flag to find it's way home.  Howerver, I appreciate you kind help.

Best wishes,

Chuck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..