Ebay Question

Complete newb here looking for some opinions on this ebay auction.  Just looking for a nice looking authentic wall-hanger that's not gonna break the bank.

Sword looks really nice, but confused about why some paperwork refers to it as a waki and the auction refers to it as tachi.

I asked the seller and here was his response:

"Hello. Thank you for your interest in this item.

77cm is the overall length of the blade. Does not include blade length
The length of the blade alone is 54.3cm.
The registration card is Wakizashi.
But this is used as Tachi.
Thank you.
Best Regards."

I would certainly appreciate any feedback or help.  Any other general comments would be very appreciated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163992060497?ViewItem=&item=163992060497

Well, the blade is of wakizashi length but it has been mounted in a tachi style. Also I find your sentence "a nice looking authentic wall-hanger that's not gonna break the bank." a bit humorous. $2,800 is some serious spending cash, you can get yourself a decent katana for that price point. And being that its the starting price of an auction, if there's any serious interest in it, you can expect to pay much more than that. You might find something better here in the for sale section!

• Like 1

Perhaps I am missing something, the listing refers to it being a tachi dedication to a shrine, and the word koshirae is used, however this is an auction for only a wakizashi in shirasaya. Perhaps the sword had a tachi koshirae which was separated and sold off, however at present it should be considered a wakizashi as it is papered.

Ebay is a minefield, and is one of the worst places to be searching for swords. Especially so for a new collector.

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum, Michael, & please put your first name on all posts, per Brian's rules. Stephen is right - Ed's wakizashi would save you $$, & comes with 2 sets of origami to confirm its authenticity. No confusion, either.

You can take what you've saved, & buy a couple of good reference books to study.

Thank you for the advice. I do like the look of the (ebay) sword and it appears to have paperwork (NBTHK Hozon?, and another I'm not familiar with), but the description leaves a little to be desired and the photos aren't exactly super clear either.  

I just added my name to the "signature" line, I think that's what you mean. Or did you mean use my first name as username? Sorry, I will change my username to my first name if necessary.

I bought my first nihonto here on this forum. Prices are more then fair and more importantly anyone offering items for sale here with more then a handful of posts under their belt will be trustworthy individuals whose ads are placed under the eyes of many knowledgable forum members.

Raymond Singer at the moment have some excellent blades up for sale that you should take a look at, even with photos of blades and authentication papers I would be very very careful on ebay around antiques unless you are way past the greenhorn stage.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..