of cultural interest...........may be

Japanese are very religious ethnic group. When one is born... goes to a Shinto shrine for blessing, Christain chapel for wedding and Buddhist temple for his grave. Always cerebrates Christmas, and few days later goes to a shrine on a New Year day!

Guys, It does not seem to be to far divorced from activities that have always surrounded Buddhist temples. Take for example the entrance to Kannon at Akasaka, a great place to shop and eat and is on temple ground after the gate. Revenue goes to the temple for rents. In Thailand right in the walled compounds you may buy trinkets, food and even get a massage. It goes on, in Singapore you can buy incense, firecrackers etc. for festival days. Macau like-wise. I saw less in China, but I'm sure it exists, a lot of temples seem to be up-kept by the state, if at all. There has always been religious items for sale, censors, mandalas etc. Upkeep of these temples is expensive and a great repository of learning and I think that the modernisation of services is a great way to preserve these sites and attract people to reinvestigate a way of thought. Excuse my bias, but it is a good idea. John

I personally find a mixture between Buddhism, shinto, and the ancient Roman polytheistic views (not christianity nor islam mind you) working quite well for me.... in view of China, i think the chinese government is coming down on too many religions except for their own religion ie Communism.

i am not able to say a lot on the subject of the Chinese government and the way they go about religion, since i always start to get immensely angry about the Tibet occupation....... so i will refrain from taking that road.

KM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..