What Became of the Very Rare blade "Something Roku"?

Bruce Pennington

Anyone know what became of the guy with a blade by a very famous, and rare smith, who I cannot fully remember the name - something with Roku in it?

It was a "My uncle gave me this sword" story and turned out to be a 1 of only 5 in existance type deals. Someone was heading to Japan for shinsa and he was told to send it to him so it could be evaluated.

The person traveling had 3 or 4 buyers already lined up for the $100,000 to $400,000 range if found to be legit.

Anyone know what happened? I'd post the link to the thread but I can't find it.

I know it wasn't the guy Ray named, and might have been the one John mentioned. All I know is that it was a 2-kanji mei and 六 was one of the characters. Something like Mago Roku?

Everyone was saying that there were only 5 known in existance, and this would be number 6 if legit.

Hi Bruce, Are you talking about this one?  A little different than your description....   As I understand it from reading between the lines, a fatal flaw showed up but the owner's head had been filled with $$$, so no one would offer what he had been led to believe the sword was worth.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/27429-captured-wwii-sword/?hl=%22george+vo%22

EDIT - looks like you and I posted at about the same time and this isn't what you are looking for....

• Like 1

Hi Bruce, Are you talking about this one?  A little different than your description....   As I understand it from reading between the lines, a fatal flaw showed up but the owner's head had been filled with $$$, so no one would offer what he had been led to believe the sword was worth.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/27429-captured-wwii-sword/?hl="george+vo"

EDIT - looks like you and I posted at about the same time and this isn't what you are looking for....

George, after reading the thread, I think you were all correct. Thanks for the update. Quite an interesting story, and quite an interesting character!

I'm still nagged by the [something] roku memory though. This thread didn't mention the $100,000 or the fact that the guy taking the blade to Japan already had 3 or 4 buyers lined up, pushing possibly $400,000. The carrier was going to take a 20% cut for his referal work, too.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..