Shin-Gunto signed by Kanemichi?

tbonesullivan

This one came with a little tag that said "KANE MICHI" on it, but I'm a bit stumped. Well, the second character is definitely 道 MICHI from what I can tell, but the 兼KANE looks nothing like I am used to. I've also looked up other sword tangs, and can't find a KANE that looks like that. I am having trouble finding any character that looks like that in the usual sources I look at for Kanji on tangs.

Is it some kind of stylized variant, or is it something else? It's definitely an arsenal made blade.

The other side of the tang is dated 昭 和 十 九 年 二 月 - Showa 19 (1944) 2nd Month (February)

post-5066-0-33902300-1575929019_thumb.jpg

I thought it might have been that, but the strokes at the bottom looked so perpendicular to the bottom stroke.  I'll have to take a look at those NMB Kanji.  Thanks so much for helping me figure this out. It's such a steep learning curve.

On the other hand, it's easier than reading old handwritten British documents on Vellum. It looks like a bunch of scribbles.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..