My first piece

Leijen

Hello,

I am based in belgium and for a long time very interested in Japanese swords. So after saving some moning I want to buy my first piece and probably will make an collection. In the area here you do not have any shops with those swords and maintenance kits so for that I am sticked to the internet shops or make a car trip to the first shop I can find. 

I found out this piece, basicly its a wakizashi and want to know your opions, is it worth the money of do you have better options?

https://www.samurai-katana-shop.nl/en/Japanese-sword-nihonto/312-ecchu-kami-kanekuni-2nd-generation-wakizashi-.html

I want something with a mei, so not mumei when I am right. 

Also if you buy something in Japan, do you have any probems to ship it out from there? How does it work?

Hope to hear soon and thank you all in advance. 

Arnold

The sword looks to be in good condition and reasonable polish. I can't see any major issues (if there were it probably would not have papered)

The only person who can decide whether it is worth the money is you,. It's your money. I dont think the price is far too expensve nor is it a bargain so it is sort of where you would expect to be.

It is certainly easier to buy locally. While for most of Europe it is perfectly leagal to import antique blades it can have problems with customs handling and not being too sure of what they should do. Also you will pay VAT, for antiques this varies with the country in the UK it is 5% in other countries I believe it is more.

• 2 weeks later...

Arnold, the blade looks decent, but wakizashi aren't priced very high lately. I would also want to see which specific NBTHK origami comes with the blade, & am surprised that they are not shown.

Do you have a few reference books so that you can determine whether this is a blade you would really want to study?

Welcome to the forum.

• 1 year later...

I just searched information about this bladesmith online and i stumbled upon this topic.

I actually bought this exact blade recently for 150 bucks cheaper than it was origianlly listed on the site and honestly i cant complain.

the paper that came with it is a hozon certificate and the blade looks absolutley stunning. the blade has no errors whatsoever but one seppa plate was missing and the lether wrapping around the grip has visible wear

4.thumb.jpg.08c6ecdbe5fa86569a98d115fd5510d3.jpg

Archived