Older fittings, sheaths handles

Steffieeee

Does anyone have any examples of old hilts, fittings that would have been used muromachi and earlier. I think the style of handle was very different but it's really hard to see any examples of originals. Old fuschi , i guess they are extremely rare because of the successive remounting of these things through the generations

OK, how about this - Nambokucho period tsuka, seppa, and habaki...  Note that the big seppa are deformed because there was a nerikawa tsuba on the piece and the leather apparently swelled before it came apart/disintegrated:

post-204-0-49285500-1574892760_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-13774500-1574892739_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-11488300-1574892782_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-03830400-1574892817_thumb.jpg

I have more images, but not the time to post process them (better).

I've posted tachi tsuba, nerikawa tsuba,etc. before...

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

Very nice. So I've only just realised that all those ww2 and similar military mounts are directly copying these very early sword mounts. The end cap of the kashira with the ring through the hole etc

Yes, it is well know that they decide to take the design from older times.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..