Mekugi ana shape?

Brian

In a recent auction, a seller in Japan described this shape of the mekugi ana as Kamakura style. I have not read anything where the shape of the ana can indicate an age, but this is quite an unusual "keyhole" shape, and doesn't seem to be formed by another closely drilled hole.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not this shape is typical of any style or era, or is it just an anomaly that indicates nothing in particular?

Brian

mekugiana.jpg

don't remember anything about the shape, did read somewhere that if its ubu drilled the it was after the foreigners showed up with steel drills making it Shinto and punched it was most likely koto, I have a blade with a key hole shape ana also but not as pronounced as this one. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Since I can think of no advantage in an unusually shaped ana I would guess this is a nakago with 3 mekugi-ana, and 2 of them share space. In other words, the smaller top part of the keyhole is an older ana and the larger bottom hole was added nearly on top later to fit a different tsuka.

My opinion and a buck gets you a ride on the bus. Grey

There are quite a few types of "non-standard" Mekugi-ana, called Hikae-mekugi-ana (控目釘穴).

The one pictured is the Hyôtan-ana 瓢箪穴 (bottle gourd hole), and is indeed found often on Kamakura period blades like the Rai school (most fell victim to Suriage, but you sometimes can see them on Tantô).

There's also a type with a squarish extention of the round Ana, called - you guessed it already - Kaku-ana. And then there are Keshô-ana, purely decorative, like the heart shaped I-no-me-ana, and the chrysanthemum shaped Kiku-ana.

Thanks Guido, that's very helpful info.

It is the first I have heard mention of different shapes of mekugi ana.

Is there any particular reason known for the shapes (besides the decorative aspect) ie is there any function to this?

Would love to see any images of other shapes.

Much appreciated,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..