Katana kake

nektoalex

Not wanting to sound pedantic, but think its for a tachi.

Interesting piece, they didnt hold back with the mother of pearl.

Not sure when it was made, that usually ends up with default meiji or later. (just a guess)

Also, and may well be wrong. Something about it reminds me of a kake I used to own, but that was made in China.

• Like 1

Not Meiji I think. It reminds me of my Ryukyu katana kake which was dated to 18c. . This is probably later but probably also Ryukyu.

Also in a recent auction ( Bonhams? Sotheby’s?) earlier this month in London a similar kake was on sale. Check their description for clues.

• Like 1

Here is one I have, was told by a few sources it is between late 18c to early 20th century, have not been able to get a better answer. I'm also very interested. Also was wondering who could restore this. I was in contact with the Royal Ontario Museum and they told me they have a woman in Ottawa Ontario who does their restorations but can't locate the information. post-4856-0-16257000-1574256959_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Aleksandr, I am hesitant to offer a definitive suggestion since I am not aware of a signed example like this one and thus all the conclusions are speculative.

But generally mother of pearl inlay on black lacquer, usually with Chinese scenes, but often mixed with "Islamic" motifs, is a Korean style of lacquer. Yes, there are islandic items that are similar but they are quite rare. 

Regarding katana stands like this one, there are very many being offered for sale in Japan.

For example, https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b433025713

The prices are modest.

They are all relatively identical to one another - maybe two-three variations of the vertical one, and two-three variations of the horizontal one. They cost little and condition wise more often than not show considerable ware, but the type of ware is not consistent with quality, old lacquer. For example, often the black surface has areas where the lacquer is worn out, or delaminates from the surface altogether, small cracks in wood and surface  - something one does not get to see even on Momoyama pieces.

My personal opinion is that all of them, Bonhams item included, are XXth century works, from about the same general period as when Shibayama style was popular. They are relatively cheaply made but have impressive appearance. Were they made in Korea or Japan is difficult to determine. There are definitely many Taisho to early Showa export pieces that were made with mother of pearl in Korea, and quite a few for Japanese market specifically. But it can be also an enterprise that functioned in Japan itself.

Kirill R.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..