Ancient Kabuto comments

Chishiki

Hi. This hachi was just auctioned in the UK and I would have loved to buy it if it was genuine. There lies the problem. Is it Japanese? And is it genuine, if so howls old? Thanks. Mark

Hmm could it be a chinese too? Looks really cool Mark

Here is another piece that begs the services of an Archeologist in this area of study...otherwise we're all just guessing.

-S-

• Like 1

Hi Mark.

If it is genuine then Kofun period. The style is called shokaku tsuki kabuto or battering ram helmet.  Similar examples are in the Tokyo National Museum.  If genuine it is in remarkable condition.  I have seen one similar in a friend's collection and he had it as a reproduction of a helmet of this period.  Perhaps that would be the way to buy it; an interesting example of the type but not a great archaeological find.

All the best.

• Like 1

I cannot see any way that this is original shokaku tsuki hachi. Such examples that have been recovered from tombs have been little more than iron oxide. Added to this is the fact that these excavated items are important museum items. I have seen one other more recent copy and like this I suspect it was made during the militaristic Taisho era to illustrate the martial history of the Japanese people.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

I have to echoe Ian. This is a nice replica. If it was a real one, then it is better than the ones in the National musuem of Tokyo. I once bought a complete tanko, excavated according the seller. After scientific examination, we discovered that it was a 20th century museum copy. Don’t dream, it is a nice copy, nothing more.

• Like 1

I have to agree (as usual and of course) with Ian. This is a prototypical Kofun era design, but I can't believe that it could have survived and entered the the wider world in its present condition. I'd put it more into the early Showa era than the Taisho and in any case, I would really like to read a systematic assessment of how Kofun arms and armor were studied and replicated at that time. Early weapons were part of the military thinking of the pre-War development . . . witness the shin-gunto koshirae.

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..