Literature about resistance tests on WW2 blades

Bruno

Hi guys,

I am looking for articles regarding resistance tests done on WW2 blades and if possible in comparaison with older swords.

I have already found some on Mantetsu-to and Gunsui-to and would like to read more of them. 

There is one on Ohmura's website but translation is so so.

I'd like to find out which Showa era blades were particularly known to be great cutter and more resistant to shocks than the average.

If you have some literature in english, feel free to share!

Thanks!

• Like 3

Bruno, if you haven't already read the Fuller & Gregory book "Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks", there's an interesting discussion of the 9 different types of blade manufacturing methods being used before WW2. They are even ranked in quality by the authors, with traditionally made tamahagane blades on top.  But no cutting comparisons.

I went to the Ohmura site and read the difficult translation about the main types of pre-war methods and was very surprised at the opinion of the author toward traditional versus gunto blades. As I read it, he thinks gunto blades got a bad rep due to the stubborn traditionalists' disdain of any non-traditional methods. He does talk about cutting comparisons; and the guntos did real well. Maybe even better, in his examples. I recommend everyone read it; or at least try.

• Like 1

Just clicked on that one, Bruce; and it's a really good discussion of niku and shinogi and other things affecting the dynamics of the cutting process.

I'm fascinated with the modern approach to this ancient design; taking into account the different applications therein. We have better steel, and technology, and don't have to face armor anymore; so today's sword could be a completely different animal. But when you include the Art aspects; there comes a fork in the road.

Ohmura also talked about the "science" of modern edge design and materials. He spoke highly of spring steel. He was talking about a weapon, first. 

• Like 1

Hey, Bruno.  Hope you get lots of feedback on this thread.  I, too, am very interested in the comparisons, if any.

How about sharing what you have already foumd?

Hi,

Yes it is an interesting topic I think. Here is what I found till now: 

http://www.nihontocraft.com/Nihonto_cold_weather.html?fbclid=IwAR0SpK0sbafyjwaXgn2CIuHuqYzEfD6GxpCQTV6AsvMILKLTmm6bAXV-qL0

http://ohmura-study.net/994.html

Not much but it seems Mantetsu-to and Gunsui-to are among the best "weapons" probably stronger than older blades. Also showato seems more resistant than older swords, but I don't want to open a can of worms!

Bruno, if you haven't already read the Fuller & Gregory book "Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks", there's an interesting discussion of the 9 different types of blade manufacturing methods being used before WW2. They are even ranked in quality by the authors, with traditionally made tamahagane blades on top.  But no cutting comparisons.

I went to the Ohmura site and read the difficult translation about the main types of pre-war methods and was very surprised at the opinion of the author toward traditional versus gunto blades. As I read it, he thinks gunto blades got a bad rep due to the stubborn traditionalists' disdain of any non-traditional methods. He does talk about cutting comparisons; and the guntos did real well. Maybe even better, in his examples. I recommend everyone read it; or at least try.

Austus, I second you about the difficulty to understand the translation on Ohmura's page. However I understood the same as you did. Interesting to note that Chris Bowen mentioned that as all soldiers were not all swordsmen, the IJA had to made "strong" showato to not break in "novices" hands. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..