Heianjo Tsuba this time ?

roger dundas

Showing wear and tear of the years, mon inlays appear similar work to those inlays used in tsuba posted by Benjamin,(NMB) September 10, 2019 ex Paris flea market- a fine example.

Also similar to Heianjo tsuba in Ashmolean museum bequeathed by Sir Arthur H Church in 1915- EAX 10168 (Oxford University).

Plate showing pronounced delamination in hitsu ana area.

8 x 76 x 4mm

Roger Dundas

post-4273-0-15412400-1573299509_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-37110400-1573299526_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-58029200-1573299544_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-74470600-1573299562_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-74291100-1573299577_thumb.jpg

Further to the above tsuba, I'm very sorry for the state of untidiness which is easily seen in the pics but not evident to my eyes when held in my hand.

Not wanting to dodge responsibility but my eyes (and in fact much of the rest of me) don't function that well anymore.

Roger D.

Thank you Beraint and Ford for taking the time to respond.

I included 2 close up shots without explanation but it was to show the extra work some craftsmen go to such as the engraved curved lines around the central hole. In reality these lines are quite fine and accurately done.

I wondered if such extra embellishment was part of the original mon or added by the craftsman just because he liked the extra effect ?

Something like you get with the fine line brass inlay that instead of finishing at the rim edge- is mimi the term ?- goes over and onto the edge.

Quite a bit more effort from the times that predated  power tools.

Much to be admired in the way a craftsman will produce a work to impress others but more particularly in the way a top craftsman will want to satisfy his own standards and values.

It's part of what gets us collectors in I think.

Hope you didn't mind my rave.

Roger Dundas

Much to be admired in the way a craftsman will produce a work to impress others but more particularly in the way a top craftsman will want to satisfy his own standards and values.

It's part of what gets us collectors in I think.

Exactly right, Roger. One big reason that I collect Heianjo tsuba.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..