Netsuké sentiments

Bugyotsuji

It just kind of floated this way, so I guess it will go into the old box...

Recently Reinhard posted an interesting thread regarding Asakusa, arguing that 'school' may be a misnomer. 

http://forums.netsuke.org/viewtopic.php?f=494804&t=8080765

Sounds like their is a haiku here!    Reinhard has a good point, I think many of us understand this, but as we prefer order to chaos the old convention will probably continue. 

Cheers,

-S-

p.s.- That old box must be getting large and heavy.   :wow:

• 1 month later...

Oh, all right then.

post-671-0-31007900-1577176505_thumb.jpeg

As soon as I saw this image a tsuba I had 30++ years ago flashed into my mind.  It was iron, round, very rudimentary looking with simple decoration.  It had a "ring" that suggested to me the iron was "good".  The main feature I recall was a mountain-looking hump with lines across it, very much like the image above.  Call me silly, but I thought it looked like a mountain, and Piers' cartouche in the above image looks to me like a stylised mountain with a stream running past it... :dunno:

BaZZa.

• Like 1

BaZZa, you have a creative mind!

Although I do not know what it means I was playing with the idea that the left ideogram might be a combination of 月and 日 for the left character of 明治 Meiji.

The river on the right with a crossing could be the kanji 卅 (another way of writing 三十), giving a possible date of Meiji 30.

Any good?

The writing on the silver item reminds me of the writing on this ukiyoe by Eisen

https://ukiyo-e.org/image/mfa/sc222268

The writing (and the character) are from a kabuki play. I don't know if the writing on the silver netsuke is at all related (I think its a long shot), but I post this here because some times the long shots can lead to other clues. 

post-34-0-99179500-1577203906_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..