For The Armor Enthusiasts

I know zero about Japanese period armor, so I am sharing these links as both seem in amazing condition and period correct, and been fun tonight looking over.

Aoi has 2 complete (?) sets up today, and it's well worth a look. never really been into armor, but enjoyed  these.

Set 1:

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/af19476-%E9%8E%A7%E5%85%9C-%E7%94%B2%E5%86%91-yoroi-and-kabuto-armor

Set 2:

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/af14285-%E9%8E%A7%E5%85%9C%E5%B1%B1%E5%8F%A3%E4%BC%8A%E8%B1%86%E5%AE%88%E5%BC%98%E5%B0%81%E4%B9%8B%E7%9D%80%E7%94%A8-yoroi-and-kabutoarmor

• Like 7

Thanks for posting Jeremiah!  I don't know anything about armor either, but I know what I like and I like the one with the embossed shishi on the do.  I also know that many of the Armor Experts say that [most of?] the embossing on do was done in the Meji period and later to "tart up" old armor for selling to foreigners.  I also get the feeling that many of the Armor Experts don't care for the highly embossed russet iron do, but I can't help it - that's the most attractive feature to me.  Anyway, I really enjoyed looking at these - thanks!

• Like 2

Fine armours, but the first at least has been somewhat restored. Note the use of jabara separating the two styles of stencilled leather rather than fusegumi sewing which armour two has. Also the leather, which is a suede deer skin, os just too clean and fresh. Invariably it gets more muted and grubby when dust gets into the porous surface.

Ian Bottomley

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..