Maetate

Ken-Hawaii

Hideyoshi had an uma jirushi of a mass of golden gourds on wires, whilst Ieyasu had his giant golden fan. I had the privilege of handling the latter when we borrowed it for the Shogun exhibition in Leeds, and contrary to almost all the depictions of it, it doesn't have a red sun on and never had.  What amused me was that there were profuse apologies that the bamboo pole it was carried on was now lost.

Ian B

• Like 3

Can't think of a specific book offhand, Ken.

In many cases the choice of Maedate was a personal one, rather than a symbol of rank. I suppose we could also say that high rank conferred the ability to choose one's own maedate, freedom from having to demonstrate allegiance to a superior. 

We could start a list here, with Naoe Kanetsugu famously using the character for 愛 ai as a Maedate.

With what kind of maedate do we associate the following?

Kusunoki Masashige.....

Date Masamune..........

Sanada Yukimura........

Uesugi Kenshin...........

Kuroda Kanbei...............

Yamanaka Shikanosuke...

Ii Naomasa.....

Central Ken with kuwagata

Crescent moon - wide sliced

Six coins

None - Yamabushi Priest’s white headscarf

None - Chawan kabuto

Crescent moon or sun in eclipse forming a perfect circle

None - huge gold wakidate

• Like 4

The red bag, I would have you know, contains one mighty weapon, a Welsh leek, negi or Tokyo/naganegi for dinner.

As to the splendid  :glee:  head ornament, I was assured these are called 'Gohei', but a quick check with my flexible wiki friend shows me there are several words of this ilk, including Onbe, heisoku, gohei and haraegushi, etc. Perhaps it depends on the shrine affiliation?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay!

I had a short discussion with Markus, to revive my memory. This book simply lacks the desired info. About 85% is about the meaning and the origin of the used symbols. Only a few references regarding clans/ families and their preferences..... :-?

Ken, It would be  good idea apart from the fact that so many helmets have had maedate added that had no association with each other. The answer may lie in in the battle screens that gave us answers as to what kamon many famous warriors used in the Sengoku Jidai. Thanks to the habit of applying labels identifying people appearing on these screens and noting what kamon the were using on their flags and other equipment we now know what heraldry some at least of these people used. I have a book on Seki ga hara which lists who was present and how many men they brought to the battle and it is surprising that we don't know what kamon some of the major players used.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..