Show us Your Commemoration/Presentation Swords

Thought it might be useful to track blades made for commemorative events and as presentation swords. I expect it will be a short thread (like the Railway Swords thread) simply because these things are farely rare. But at least what we know of them can be found in a single location.

I'll start with 2 I know of:

Respectfully made at the Daika Ore Co. LTD

満州国建国十同年記念

10th anniversary of the foundation of Manshuko

As the Manchuoko govt was established in 1934, that should mean this was made in 1944. It came in navy fittings.

post-3487-0-76657300-1570914079_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-01317900-1570914157_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-89339900-1570914164_thumb.jpg

Found here: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8552613#post8552613

Second one was a Mantetsu blade presented to Railway Bureau in the area of the Mantetsu factory.

吉林

哈爾浜

斉々哈爾

各鉄道局

Presented by the railway companies of

Jilin

Harbin

Qiqihar

post-3487-0-63129100-1570914522_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-93349700-1570914532_thumb.jpg

Found here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/28095-mantetsu-blade-with-long-inscription/

Searching my friend in mean time waiting for full via Markus.

Basically commemoration for the peace between Japan and the United States in 1952 coincides when they were allowed to start forging swords again. A tanto.

That's cool, Stephen. I'm filing it and will add full translation as you pass it along to us. Thanks!

多賀大明神   Taga Daimyōjin    (Japanese deity)

The above quote is from http://jtweymo.angelfire.com/KIRAKURYU_MOKUROKU.html.

Daimyōjin 大明神 is a title for a Shinto god and not a location.

Below are some English language links to get you started.

多賀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taga-taisha

大明神

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myōjin

• Like 1

Thanks Thomas, that last link did the trick! So this can be taken to say "The shining/apparent deity of Taga" or a reference to the "Taga Grand Shrine."

"Up until the early modern period, use of titles such as myōjin or gongen for many deities and their shrines were so widespread that these gods were rarely referred to by their proper names.[10] For instance, both the god of Kashima Shrine and the shrine itself were known as 'Kashima Daimyōjin' (鹿島大明神); the deity enshrined in Suwa Grand Shrine was called 'Suwa Daimyōjin' (諏訪(大)明神), and so on. (cf. Hachiman-daibosatsu (八幡大菩薩) or Kumano Gongen (熊野権現)). After his death, Toyotomi Hideyoshi was deified under the name 'Toyokuni Daimyōjin' (豊国大明神).[15][16]"

It is interesting that the "Dai" part was outlawed by the Meiji govt: "When the Meiji government officially separated Shinto from Buddhism, official use of titles and terminology perceived as having Buddhist connotations such as (dai)myōjin, (dai)gongen or daibosatsu by shrines were legally abolished and discouraged. However, a few deities/shrines are still often referred to as (dai)myōjin in popular usage even today. (E.g. Kanda Myōjin in Chiyoda, Tokyo, enshrining the deified vengeful spirit of Taira no Masakado).[citation needed]"

Neil, is there a date on this blade?

Bruce, is this a slogan, dedication, or commemoration?

So, I would liken this to a guy tatoo-ing a cross on his arm, or a guy that goes to war wearing a St Christopher medalion. In a sense, he's saying "I'm dedicated to my God" (therefore, please GOD keep me safe!!!). So, I'll list this in the Dedications category.

Does this count ,  a sword made by Naotsugu in the grounds of the Hachiman Shrine

Ray,

I'm thinking this might require a new tracking folder for "Made In ..." as there are a number of swords out there with inscriptions like that. There are "shrine swords" too, but that normally refers to Yasukuni and Minatogawa Shrine swords. Do you know if the Hachiman Shrine was making swords on a regular basis?

Bruce / Dave,   If you go to  and old posting called , show me your High Class Gunto topic ,  you will see the whole sword and the previous translation ,  I think on page 3

NB_ you are correct it most likely means made in the vicinity of the Hachi-man shrine .

Dave,   we did  meet a few years back at the  DTI in 2016 , when you were with Paul Martin , . I was the tallest of the three Scotsman that day !!  

• Like 1

Most "Shrine Swords",  weren't made at the particular shrine,  rather they are dedications, even if this isn't stated.

David, were there swords donated to shrines? I read a post-war document talking about shrine swords that were pilfered after the war, so I assumed that meant the blades were located in the shrine?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..