Shoami Denshichi Tsuba

Surfson

Hi All.  I consider myself a dilettante in fittings, but am trying to improve my knowledge.  I just picked up this tsuba with NBTHK TH papers to Shoami Den Shichi.  I am attaching a photo of the papers as well as what the seller stated about the tsuba.  Although this post could go into the translation section, I am more interested in opinions about the tsuba.  My reading of the overview is:

1st line - tokubetsu hozon tosogu

2nd line- shodai XX no XX

3rd line - Shoami Den Shichi no X goods

4th line - six lobed flower sukashi tsuba (?)

So my questions are about the papers (hopefully my translation is correct).   What does Den Shichi refer to in the context of the Shoami call?  Is this a reference to Hayashi Matashichi or am I way off, either because my translation is wrong or my interpretation is wrong.  Any help or advice with either the translation or what the tsuba is would be greatly appreciated.

post-620-0-22756400-1570628057_thumb.png

post-620-0-29070000-1570628067_thumb.png

post-620-0-02678300-1570628112_thumb.png

post-620-0-02838700-1570628151_thumb.png

• Like 4

Go to Haynes pg 103,  'Denshichi' => Shigetsune 8531 => Haynes pg. 1690:  Shigetsune, Shoami -- (aka) Denshichi.

As Maestro Pete said.

There should be a lot to read. If you go through the Tsuba Taikan, I believe there are one or two signed examples there. He is known distinctly for this design, as Tomei is for his millet. I'm glad to see this one is coming to the US, and maybe I will get to study it in Chicago next year?

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..