5 replies to this topic

#1 Surfson

Surfson

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

Hi All.  I consider myself a dilettante in fittings, but am trying to improve my knowledge.  I just picked up this tsuba with NBTHK TH papers to Shoami Den Shichi.  I am attaching a photo of the papers as well as what the seller stated about the tsuba.  Although this post could go into the translation section, I am more interested in opinions about the tsuba.  My reading of the overview is:

1st line - tokubetsu hozon tosogu

2nd line- shodai XX no XX

3rd line - Shoami Den Shichi no X goods

4th line - six lobed flower sukashi tsuba (?)

So my questions are about the papers (hopefully my translation is correct).   What does Den Shichi refer to in the context of the Shoami call?  Is this a reference to Hayashi Matashichi or am I way off, either because my translation is wrong or my interpretation is wrong.  Any help or advice with either the translation or what the tsuba is would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• overview.png
  • NBTHK TH.png
  • front.png
  • mimi.png

• Ed, ROKUJURO, parksllopescouts and 1 other like this
Robert S.

#2 lotus

lotus

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:49 PM

Really nice looking tsuba. I don't have a response to your question but wanted to comment that it looks super thick. What is the thickness?

Patrick R.

#3 Surfson

Surfson

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

My recollection is that it is 7.4 cm and 6 mm thick, which I expect will feel quite hefty.  It's part of the reason I bought it! 

Robert S.

#4 Pete Klein

Pete Klein

Juyo

• Members
  • 2,829 posts
  • LocationUSA - FL

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

Go to Haynes pg 103,  'Denshichi' => Shigetsune 8531 => Haynes pg. 1690:  Shigetsune, Shoami -- (aka) Denshichi.

• Brian and Surfson like this

“I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.” ...

Miss Mae West

#5 Curran

Curran

Juyo

• Members
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

Go to Haynes pg 103,  'Denshichi' => Shigetsune 8531 => Haynes pg. 1690:  Shigetsune, Shoami -- (aka) Denshichi.

As Maestro Pete said.

There should be a lot to read. If you go through the Tsuba Taikan, I believe there are one or two signed examples there. He is known distinctly for this design, as Tomei is for his millet. I'm glad to see this one is coming to the US, and maybe I will get to study it in Chicago next year?

• Surfson and vajo like this

미친 남자 Curran

#6 Surfson

Surfson

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Pete and Curran!   Just what I was hoping to get from my post.  It's always good when the NBTHK assigns a mumei tsuba to a single and known maker rather than a large school.  

Robert S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq