Russian site selling Muramasa katana opinions?

Dear Yura.

Well it's a katana in very ordinary koshirae, the yasurime in the area of the mei look suspect, the condition of the nakago also raises concerns.  All of that is before we start examining the mei and I don't think that is going to change my opinion.

This would not be a sword I would buy, certainly not as a Muramasa.

Others may have different opinions.

All the best.

And just to add Google translate has turned the shopping basket icon into one that says, "In Garbage".   :laughing:

• Like 3

Can’t tell you who the maker is, Yura, but everything is wrong, from the nakago, the Hamon, even the sugata. Nothing suggests Muramasa here, so Gimei. Looks to be a very ordinary katana here.

• Like 1

Without seeing the details I would just argue that the probability of this one papering to Muramasa is below 5%.

Otherwise, for myself Muramasa is one of those invented biographies, which correspondingly makes it difficult to argue in substance on such issues as where to draw the line between "real" and "fake".

There are suguha, hitatsura and "conventional" Muramasa of a wide range in quality and sugata all accepted as the second generation, but you either have a "paperable" conventional type, or an unconventional type verifiably from a very old collection, and thus also accepted as the original.

Kirill R.

• Like 2

Leibstandarte, a very famous store (politically).

That's where Igor Strelkov, "Bad soldier" and I think Viper-NS are from.

They don't ship abroad, and aside from one person I think high class blade collectors from Russia have a tendency to prefer more southern climates for convinience of polishing.

Kirill R.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..