Buddhist Shrine Ken translation please

Chishiki

Hi. This rather large shrine ken measures 71cm overall with the blade being 51cm. It is extensively signed and your help would be appreciated. The other side also has a mei which is hard to make out. I will try to get better photos. What is the histroy and purpose of these?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Ps. sorry, I cannot rotate one of the images.

post-691-0-95028900-1570443496_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-07043500-1570443544_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-97814200-1570443581_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-69395400-1570444860_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I can be wrong, but looks like:

“天満天神宮(泰?)細願主作(州 another spelling)津山住.....” and “正徳弐年....”

Now I’m too to go on!

Thanks for trying Uwe. I think on right edge there is a date 1704. Hopefully we can get it sorted. Mark

....and I like the YAJIRI!

The KEN looks like a simple votive offering and not so much like a weapon.

Hi. You are right, probably a prayer but I suspect other information, maybe the name of the shrine etc. This has probably come out of a shrine that has closed down. I think it is early and has the date 1704. An interesting artifact and I think not common to have in private hands. Yes, not a weapon. I have seen Jpanese statues of Budo myo holding them etc.

I hope Piers or someone else here can tell me about them.

Mark

PS. The Yajiri are a matched set if 12, 2x unusual shaped, sukashi and 10x regular, all signed my Hoki Masayuki, circa late 18th I think. I haven’t done any real study into them as yet.

天満天神宮奉納願主作州津山住鍛冶

正徳弐年辰八月十三(?)

Tenman Tenshin-gu hōnō ganshū Sakushū Tsuyama-jū kaji

Shōtoku 2 tatsu 8 gatsu 13 

reverse side 

久米

Kume (illegible)

This is a votive offering (奉納), to one of the many Tenman shrines in Japan. The one that comes to mind is the Tenman-gū shrine in Osaka, dedicated to the ancient scholar Sugawara Michizane (aka Tenjin). Sakushū Tsuyama is a place name in Okayama prefecture. It would have been in Mimasaka-no-kuni in the old days, which is abbreviated here as Sakushū. Shōtoku 2 (tatsu = year of dragon) is 1712. I can't quite pick out the month and date, but it looks like August 13th. A closer shot would remove any doubt. I can't read the part at the bottom, so I'm not sure if it is a name or more location information. It has what kind of looks like a kaō at the end, but I think the name of the smith is on the other side. 

On the other side is what looks like 久米 (Kume, which is a location name, and by extension a family name) associated with Tsuyama. But I can't figure out the bits after that. This part looks like it would be the name, but I can't be sure. 

• Like 6

Hi,  Steve,

His name is  Uuemon ( 宇右衛門 ).

天満天神宮奉納願主作州津山住鍛冶宇右衛門

And other side says:

久米北条郡戸脇村 (Kumehojo-gun,Towaki-mura)

Kumehojo county,Towaki village.

Thanks you Mr. Morita and Steve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..