fuchi translation help

hobnails

Hi Chris and Pete,

Having had another look at this - Pete is correct - the last kanji (sorry I can't copy and paste with this browser) is read as "drawn or painted by" according to Self and Hirose's "Japanese Art Signatures" so you have "Haru Aki Ho Gen Zu" - drawn (designed) by (a person whose honorary buddhist title is) Haruaki.

As regards the metalworkers signature it reads "Kigan" plus kao. Haynes has a couple of artists using this "Ki" and one using this form of "Gan" but only one signing "Kigan" but using a different kanji for "Ki" (photo attached), it might be the same guy who changed his signature at some point, but I don't have any more information. As you can see, the one Haynes lists is from the Nara school and someone who knows better than me might be able to tell you whether or not the workmanship on your fuchi points in that direction.

post-1332-0-66095300-1569697611_thumb.jpg

http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=9b3c

Finally found 'Ki' (or 'oni'):   Haruaki Hogen no Zu Kigen Kao  (design from work by Haruaki Hogen, made by Kigan (kao).

I can't find anything on this maker so by the workmanship (the carving of the mei is somewhat crude) my best guess would be an unknown or possibly amateur maker.  Perhaps someone else will find something more definitive.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

It's difficult to know what to advise - my main interest is swords but I dabble in fittings so my fittings library is a bit ad hoc.

If you want a book in English that deals with fittings generally, then I've found the fittings volume of Nihonto Koza by Harry Afu Watson to be a useful general reference guide but the illustrations aren't brilliant. Better from the illustrations point of view but in Japanese is Tsuba Taikan by Kawaguchi Noboro. I think beyond this it is worth acquiring more specific books on individual schools or types of fittings that you find of interest. 

Eventually you may find that you need something to look up fittings artists and Haynes' Index of Japanese Sword Fittings and Associated Artists is (for me anyway) the go-to - it's the equivalent of Hawleys for swordsmiths. That said, for me it's a reference and only comes down off the shelf if I need to look something up and isn't something I browse.

I don't have a Meikan (book containing verified examples of artists' signatures) for fittings artists. The one by Wakayama (don't know the title off hand) is regarded as definitive and I intend to acquire this at some point. 

I'm sure others can chip in with some better suggestions.

Chris - the field of tosogu involves hundreds if not thousands of texts in Japanese, English and other languages and there really isn't any one size fits all text to recommend.  There is also going to be a cost issue for you as shipping to NZ is going to be expensive on top of the cost of the book(s).  I would suggest starting with basic searches (Google, Facebook, etc.) so you can see if there is a particular area which piques your interest.  Look over the listings on Grey Doffin's site, read the descriptions and view the pictures.  It will give you an idea of what is out there so that when you know where you wish to start you can find the best route to purchase.  

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/Books

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..