Help with Nihonto identification

yanni79

I could use some help with a nihontō identification. Pictures of the nakago included.

Here's the link to the imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/E55NvAe . This was purchased from an estate liquidation. The handle appears to be wooden. Not sure if all of the pieces are original. The blade looks like it's in pretty good condition, which confuses me when trying to figure out the age, compared to the condition of the sheath and handle of the sword. Hoping someone can identify the signature of the smith to help me age it, and for me to learn more about this sword.

Someone on reddit pointed recommended that I check on this forum. They also pointed out that the oxidation has been removed from the tsuba (https://www.reddit.com/r/SWORDS/comments/d6nzgi/i_could_use_some_help_with_a_nihont%C5%8D/

Thank you in advance

Yanni S.

post-5112-0-72444000-1569135002_thumb.jpg

post-5112-0-44494400-1569135029_thumb.jpg

It's an authentic old sword you've got, I can tell you that much, whether the signature is authentic is another matter. The handle is in reality a Shirasaya tsuka crudely fitted as a replacement, when this was done....who knows? The sword itself appears to be from the Muromachi era or later, perhaps a lower quality sword made in bulk during the warring periods.

• Like 1

Thanks John - I spent a lot of time trying to translate (my first time trying) - using this resource: http://meiboku.info/mei/  - to at least figure out what the signature was trying to fake - but I can't seem to identify any of the characters, other than the last one - which I think is supposed to be saku.gif - SAKU - or "Made". Any help with the characters would be appreciated - I can take better pictures, or perhaps I should try tracing it with a paper-overlay technique?

Yanni, if you spend any time on this forum, you will know that the mei is the very last thing you should look at. I recommend that you spend a few dollars on Amazon to buy a couple of good reference books, & then study them so you have some idea of what you're looking at. This will end up saving you thousands of dollars, in the long run. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 3

I concur with Jacques on the reading of the mei, and based on the history of judgements of signatures for this maker will likely be that it's spurious.  There is only one signed Hosho Sadamune tanto, and while it is indeed a Juyo Bijutsuhin, the authenticity of the mei is also regarded as questionable by notable authorities.

This sword images posted above show that someone slapped this sword together with a smattering of parts.  The habaki is not original to the blade as the size and fit are very wrong and out of synch.  The handle is a former shirasaya handle converted.  The seppa are mismatched in sizing and base material.

None of this is to say the blade itself may not hold some kind of merit, but someone with good eyes and experience will need to see the blade in hand to determine that.  Find a show near you if possible and bring it.  It'll be best for you and your sword. 

• Like 7

Thank you very much for the awesome info. I will try to take it to a professional for a closer inspection! Learning quite a bit, and to be honest it's way more exciting to learn about nihonto when you hold a potentially real sample in your hands!

As far as gimei goes, Hosho Sadamune is not that bad. This attribution was applied to top level blades during the late Muromachi and early Edo periods, Tokugawa and allies Hosho's had a tendency of becoming Sadamune in attributions.

Today in my opinion even though papers to this name are not issued, green papers will have a tendency to jump to just a comparable ko Hosho thing...

Case in point, if the blade is indeed Hosho (which is easy to check), then they are all tend to be quite good, even Sue-Hosho. The signature might have found the way there to indicate something that is more than just good.

It can be just worthless rod, that someone just enhanced so that it sells somehow.

But at least there is a chance.

Ok, looking in the actual album its in really tough condition. You'll be lucky to find a spot where some work is seen. The signature is done so ugly, it was unlikely in any good collection though...

Kirill R.

• Like 1

Is there a place or a person in Southern California that you guys can recommend that I take it? I can't seem to find any shows that happen here. I reached out to a couple of people that have previously been active - but haven't heard back. I'm in San Diego, and would love to have someone take a closer look!

Thank you,

Yanni.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..