Japanese Armor Society Symposium in New York

Hi All,

We have just returned from a fabulous few days with about 40 of our fellow members and a few non-members from 4 continents at our 4th symposium: Japanese Legacy IV, held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Friday, September 13th. I thought that I'd share a few images of the day's events:

Welcome by JAS President, Luc Taelman and Senior NKBKHK Board Member, Haruo Ueda:
py4Gwx.jpg

Ueda-san:
P2xC67.jpg

Welcome by Pierre Terjanian, Chief Curator, Department of Arms and Armor, Metropolitan Museum of Art:
Wsu6I8.jpg

Our first speaker, John Byck, Assistant Curator, Arms and Armor, Metropolitan Museum of Art, who spoke about the museum's rich history in collecting Japanese armor and specifically, the role of Bashford Dean in spearheading the collection:
iudSuM.jpg
1N2grM.jpg

Kanno-san, who spoke about the importance of the harness in samurai armor and most importantly (and one of the highlights of the symposium for me), gave pointers on how to identify if a dō is from the Momoyama vs. Edo periods:
tmPGvV.jpg

JAS member and Visiting Researcher, Japanese Arms and Armor, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Markus Sesko, giving an interesting lecture and show-and-tell on the work of Myochin Muneakira:
seXTQM.jpg

V3PMbL.jpgforum_signature.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..