Yoshiro tsuba

djedie01

The guy thought it was a keyhole entrance...

Decades ago I heard that Paris had many tsuba used as keyhole escutcheons, so perhaps it is a common understanding there "in the trade".  You are lucky yours doesn't have the nail holes where it might have been attached to a door...

BaZZa.

djedie01,

please sign all posts at least with your first name plus an initial, as is requested here.

Otherwise welcome to the NM board, and congratulations to a very nice HEIANJO TSUBA!

Please refrain from all attemps to 'clean' the TSUBA except from red active rust. You have a good TSUBA in seemingly good condition, and it should be kept this way. It does not look as if it had been misused as 'keyhole' escutcheon.

post-2033-0-46293800-1568216932_thumb.jpg

djedie01,

please sign all posts at least with your first name plus an initial, as is requested here.

Otherwise welcome to the NM board, and congratulations to a very nice HEIANJO TSUBA!

Please refrain from all attemps to 'clean' the TSUBA except from red rust. You have a good TSUBA in seemingly good condition, and it should be kept this way. It does not look as if it had been misused as 'keyhole' escutcheon.

CHOSHU-TSUBA KURA 0034.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

I just removed a lot of dust with a smooth brush and a thin needle in the tiny holes and spaces

I won't do anymore except from finding an appropriate wooden box

Benjamin l

Lovely tsuba, good to see most of the inlay is intact, brass often falls out due to rusting of iron base.  Its probably worth pointing out that this type of tsuba was made in Kyoto (Heian) and Kaga by the Yoshiro school.  I've also seen signed examples from Bizen, so difficult to judge exactly what school.  Also, two types of mon inlay, first is solid brass, like yours, then sukashi mon cut in.  Second is a brass ring, like mine, and the pre shaped mon is pushed into the ring.  Your kodzuka hitsu ana is square, or squarish.  I have not been able to find out is this is a characteristic of any school, but have seen in identified Bizen example.  The karakusa looks a bit more elaborate than usual.  So, all in all, lovely tsuba with some out of the usual type of inlay.

regards, John

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..