Minamoto Masanao Gendaito. Real deal or gimei/fake

Gentlebeings,

I am currently in the market for a new Katana for Iai/Battodo practice and came across this auction:

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/28899779-Japan-seki-ju-masanao-saku-gendaito-lange-katana-blade-schwert

It would fulfil my requirements in all ways regarding Nagasa length and a shallow Sori as it suits my cutting style. Currently the blade is at 1500 EUR and I am considering to place a bid on this myself. Do you think that this is real ? The Nakago looks strange to me (maybe someone polished it ?) and if this not a “fake” or gimei, would you recommend buying it? And if so, at what point would I be paying too much ? Mind you, not for collecting but for being mounted for Iai and Batto.

Any thoughts are very welcome

If you're going to cut with it (tameshigiri), don't you want to use an inexpensive shinken, rather than a Gendaito?

I am cutting with a number of swords (Tenshin Ryu Battodo) including mid- and high end Chinese shinken. It is not unusual to use Gendaito for tameshigiri.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thank you for the advice and sorry for not responding here earlier. Turned out it was actually one of Komonjo‘s „gimei“ blades. @Greg, to answer your question. There are mainly two reasons for that:

a) to connect myself to the history and tradition of the art

b) most Shinken from China only have a nagasa of 71-73 cm, which is too short for me

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..