Recent UK import hassles

Thanks Alex,

Looks like code 5a and 5c on the HMRC import of collectors/work of art less than 100yrs old, ie gendaito/shinsakuto and subject to 5% import tax.

I don't understand why some jobsworth in UK custom would find it so difficult to process import of such nature. It should be pretty straight forward.

I had to look up "jobsworth," Wah - not a term we use out here, but I have a couple of former employees it fits, perfectly.

Its usually deeply rooted in the public sector, folks that devoid of real world pragmatism and logic but fits in well with bureaucratic administration that require certain amount of incompetant to justify its existent. If there is more incompetants there is going to be more meetings. To have more meetings they have to employ more managers. To have more managers they will get more taxpayers money.

• Like 3

Cant remember seeing the "50cm" line before, . https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-trade-tariff-import-prohibitions-and-restrictions/uk-trade-tariff-import-prohibitions-and-restrictions

For example, swordsticks, knuckledusters, telescopic truncheons, which extend automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device, butterfly knives, belt buckle knives, push daggers, hand and foot claws, death stars, blowpipes, a disguised knife, that is any knife which has a concealed blade or concealed sharp point and is designed to appear to be an everyday object of a kind commonly carried on the person or in a handbag, briefcase, or other hand luggage (such as a comb, brush, writing instrument, cigarette lighter, key, lipstick or telephone), samurai swords with a blade not exceeding 50cms and certain martial arts equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

Just recieved a C160 form from Parcel Force (Custom Clearing Agent) in the UK to declare an item imported from Japan, the cost and purpose, etc, to assist what is appropriate for them to charge me. I never seen this before so maybe its something new from now on?

Has anyone recieved this and how would you fill it in? Dont get me wrong I intend to pay the 5% charge like I always do even with modern shinsakuto art swords. Just don't want to fill it out in such a way for a jobsworth to slap 17.5% plus tax.

Hi Wah, ive had two of these in the last year, never had one before that.

As you mention, honesty is the best policy.

Just fill in the form and add the all the relevant info they require.

Print out proof of payment, via paypal or whatever.

Add a printout of the sales page with details of the item and seller.

On a separate piece of paper describe exactly what it is, with some evidence, the correct customs tariff no (antique/collectable and RELIEF REQUESTED). Print some details off about the smith and add any info regarding when he worked etc

Explanation of Hozen etc, should there be any.

Also, with all the panic about knives etc in the UK, maybe add a few personal details, passport printout with age and member of sword society's etc, might help, might not

Cant think of anything else at this hour. Bit of a an hassle but not too bad once you have done one or two, something to get used to I suppose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..