Recent UK import hassles

Thought i best share a few, in the hope it might save someone hassles.

1) Dont ever forget to state the customs tariff and "over 100 years old" (outside EU). My fault, must have had my head in the clouds that day and asked the sender just to put "antique iron sword guard". Anyways, Customs are on the ball and charge me full wack but on receiving the package, I fill a form in online and get a letter saying they will issue a refund within a month. That was May and I wont bore you with the details, just been going around in circles on and off ever since. Speaking to border force is akin to trying to contact the men in black, Coventry hub cant put you through as apparently they don't take calls :laughing:

Ive tried every phone number linked with them on google, just get number unavailable. No luck with any emails either. I give up twice and now im back for more, all this for £38  :laughing:

2) A first ever, customs held a sword and wanted to see proof of price paid. Fair enough I thought, but they could have left out the jargon about it possibly being crushed :o

Think on  ;-)

• Like 3

Alex, Although I have not bought a sword from outside the UK recently, but I went through the hassle a few times in the past. The first thing is to print off all the details of the advertisement and the sale price. It is important this states the age, even if it just says 'Edo period' and even if it is in Japanese. When shipped the customs will write and say you have been trying to import a prohibited weapon (in the case of a sword) together with a bill charged at 20% or whatever. You then need to write and state it is antique and should be charged at 5% and include the sale documents and proof of age. You will then get a refund, but it will often be several weeks or longer before you do.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 3

Cheers Ian.

Makes perfect sense to print off all the details at the beginning and have everything at hand, rather than trying to pull everything together months later, as I had to.

The least amount of time your valuables hang about in one of those places, the better.

When i read this i thought you speak about germany. Its allways a adventure to pick something form the customs here. So many discussions and sheets and pricings. Sometimes you pay 5% custom fee, sometimes 7% and when they are not convinced they made 12% as a sports equipment. And 19% value added tax additionally. And if it is over 1000 EUR (incl. sending costs) you must hire a freight forwarder to fill out the form which costs sometimes 45 EUR and sometimes 65 EUR.

• Like 2

Hello,

It’s like the law...all in the word..You have to be like a barrister when you describe something...Get it wrong and you loose the case...! You are not alone Alex...A few years ago I left importing something to someone who thought they were doing me a return favour...Big mistake...! Six months or so dealing with the Birmingham hub I finally got it.....That “ Over 100 year old and traditionally made” combined with the correct tariff code have always been my “key” to a smooth process....Being a member of The Token Society and NMB are also very useful memberships when it comes to proving things....Have had to provide “proof” in the past and yes..they did check and to be fair they have always been very fair....

Regards,

Paul..

I would add that when exporting items to the UK, along with the Harmonic Tarrif Code (HTC) of 9706.00.00.00 and the notation of "Antiques, more than 100 years old", it is also helpful to also write in bold print in the description "RELIEF REQUESTED" which is another key term to alert HMRC that the item is antique and subject to 5% VAT instead of 20%.  

• Like 4

Thought that was the sign you wore to the stripclub. :-?
Here they will probably refuse to accept it is antique and charge full duties. And when asked what constitutes proof, they don't know...but want it anyways. Sellers description or letters don't matter.

• Like 1

I think "Relief Requested" is a term that could be used for many aspects of life in the UK at present :bang:

sorry didn't mean to divert the thread, I think the Brexit debate got to me!!

Winner:  PaulB, in record time!  :D    I was wondering who would take a swipe at that after I tee'd it up so well.  

• Like 1

Was just reading .gov page, thought this was interesting

1.5 Which antiques are eligible for VAT on a reduced value?

These are:

• antiques of an age exceeding 100 years including items of numismatic interest provided they are not part of any collection or a collector’s piece

I had a sword which was sent from Japan and was charged the full rate instead of the 5%. All you need to do is download the form below:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/581510/bor286.pdf

Also include a brief letter giving an explanation of why the item is over 100 years old. It took 2 weeks for me to receive a reply, and then 2 weeks later I got a cheque back for the difference.

Hi Peter,

Thats what i did, filled in the form and sent back all the relevent info and proof.

I then recieved a reply saying they would send a refund, but thats where it ended.

Ive contacted the number on the back of the letter which when you call says "this number is unavailable".

Ive contacted numbers ive found online which send me around in circles. People replying saying this this is not the right number, then give me numbers I have already rang.

Ive called Coventry hub four times, been told border force dont take calls, then after becoming slightly annoyed ive been given another number. When i called it a recorded voice on the other side gives details of enquiries they wont reply to (different to my enquiry), so i left a reply, and then i get no reply.

Seriously, ive never known anything like it, just glad we are not talking a larger refund.

One of the other things that bugs me. If you get over charged by border force, you have to pay it up front anyway to receive the parcel (then  possibly.go through all this nonsense afterwards)

Brian, cheers, i remember that page now.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe they listed it as antique ?

The customs state 100 years old or more. Kind of annoying really, buy a traditionally made sword from WW2 and get no reduction, seems unfair.

Maybe im missing something about "art" stuff, not sure, just go off the antique/100 years old.

Maybe they listed it as antique ?

The customs state 100 years old or more. Kind of annoying really, buy a traditionally made sword from WW2 and get no reduction, seems unfair.

Maybe im missing something about "art" stuff, not sure, just go off the antique/100 years old.

I've had 5% on gendaito / shinsakuto you need to mark it as a collectable with the correct code.

• Like 1

My newest adventure.

I bought a menuki from Japan. After looking on the tracker is see it was arrived on FFA. Ok, waiting. After 14 days i asked DHL where my package is. They said at the customs in FFA. 14 days later is asked where it is, now they said it is on the local customs to pick up. I asked at the local customs, they said without PIB Nummer and DHL Paper they can not give me tha package. So i called DHL... They said they have sent the Paper. I didn't recieve any paper. I called the customs, they said to late DHL had pick up the package to sent it back to Japan  :bang:

Now i got a ebay message that the package is back at the seller. He said he can sent it twice but i must pay the additional sending cost or refund. So i pay the sending costs and the package is on the way twice.

Thank you DHL and customs for stealing my time and money.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..