Closeups

cofor22

I am struggling a bit to understand what I see in the hamon, ji, shinogi-ji and what different things I see at the surface and immediate subsurface of my blade.

So, would someone like to describe what is seen in the following images. Nioi? Nie? Ji-nie? Chikei? In the photomicrograph, are the white areas martensite and the dark some other type of steel crystals? The area is part of the Ji-Hada.

https://gemology.se/files/waki/ha_mon_ji.jpg

https://gemology.se/files/waki/hada_micro.jpg

Conny F

Dear Conny.

Perhaps it is worth remembering that the terms we use to describe activity in the sword are all derived from what can be seen with the naked eye.  Without something to scale the images against it is very hard to say what you have.  Like Jeanne-Pierre I would say that your first image shows nie but they might well be called ko nie.  I also can tell you nothing from the second image.

All the best.

Very personal take: Nice example of how post-mid-sengaku (quite prominent already with some Mino Kanefusa and Ujifusa?) and especially shinto [probably Shinto in this case?] to shintshinto hamon of decent quality looks like - a foam of nie on top, with very much varied crystal size, over relatively dense and uniform, wide structure below. The hada appears to be tight itame with quite some ji nie.

It might be not a bad sword.

Brilliant white in hada is ji nie.

In this picture the bluish-dark in ha is nie when its a separate crystal.

White is from hadori, a polishing technique to accent hamon, especially its nie.

Kirill R.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..