Shakudo

Deron Douglas

Hi,

Has anyone experienced the shakudo finish evenutally rubbing off the high-lighted areas of a f/k for example. The base material of shakudo is a mix of copper and gold and it's untreated color would be copper/or orange/brown. Since the purple coloring is a product of a patina "dip" or chemical reaction, the surface would be the only areas effected by the patina. Therefore, the rubbing of the surface in higher areas would eventually wear away the patina revealing the copper base underneath.

OK.. I probably answered my own question, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks.

Deron,

Welcome back..haven't seen you on the board for a while :)

How are sales of the Nanban Tsuba book going? You should post a message about it in the sales section.

Anyways..about the shakudo question..I have seen this often. I think you are spot on..the patina is only a surface finish, and any wear will show the copper underneath. I have this on most of my shakudo habaki.

It is supposed to repatinate gradually over time, but hasn't started yet on any of mine :)

Read the post on patinas in the general discussion forum a while back (search under shakudo and patina) for some info on the old formulas they used.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thank you. Been busy with other things... life seems to get in the way of hobbies. Finally finished mounting my "first sword"... looks stunning. It was a five year project. Maybe I'll post some pics here.

The book seems to be selling... I didn't want to spam anyone. So I haven't listed it in forums or via email. But I'll do that now in the sales section.

Actually, I've worked with shakudo patinas in the past, bought that really good Japanese patina book... gave it a try on a few items, stunk up the house... wife loved it! :-) I wouldn't do it on really expensive stuff, but cheap "finds" are always worth a try I guess. I also feel that the "wear" is a sign of the items age... much like character lines on a person's face, adding to the beauty and character.

Cheers,

Deron

Hi Brian,

you've had me thinking all weekend... I'm wondering if I should "touch-up" the shakudo on a couple of my fuchi/kashira that are showing some wear. I've done shakudo before as mentioned. And you indicated that this wear is natural... but the question is... is it "right"? I'm wondering...

I remember hearing that a "LOT" of Japanese dealers do this using various substances... in fact there is one dealer on eBay that... I swear, must use a small brush and black flat paint to "touch-up" his shakado pieces (for this reason I say away from his stuff). As I mentioned, it doesn't look bad, the rubbed away areas actually bring out the relief more. But remember them being a much deeper-purplish black before.

Just wondering.

Deron

Deron, Brian, Is it not that shakudo with a lower gold content would show a lighter colour and require the 'treatment' to darken the surface to make it more desirable whereas a better quality alloy of higher gold content would not require this patination procedure and not show the copper looking wear pattern from use (rubbing). I have noticed nicks in good pieces that show the metal is dark underneath as well. Not knowing if this is the case, just my observation. John

Hi John,

Thata's really interesting because I've always been under the impression that shakudo while indicating a mix of copper and gold, also involved a patina to get the "effect". Reactive metal sells "shakudo" in sheets and wire... having the correct mix. I wonder what it looks like in this state. I have a friend who is a jeweler, I should ask him to perform an experiment with me and we'll mix some copper and gold in his blast furnance and see what happens.

Thanks for these observations John.

Cheers,

Deron

John,

It could well be, I am not very clued up on shakudo.

But it has always been my impression that the rich blackish purple colour of shakudo does come from later patina treatment, and not from its alloy state.

I think it always looks like copper/brass until it has been treated.

The mix of gold can vary from 3-8%, but I think 4% or so is the most common, and more gold does not make for better shakudo.

Again..just what I have been led to believe. Perhaps some patina treatments go deeper than others?

Brian

John,

It could well be, I am not very clued up on shakudo.

But it has always been my impression that the rich blackish purple colour of shakudo does come from later patina treatment, and not from its alloy state.

I think it always looks like copper/brass until it has been treated.

The mix of gold can vary from 3-8%, but I think 4% or so is the most common, and more gold does not make for better shakudo.

Again..just what I have been led to believe. Perhaps some patina treatments go deeper than others?

Brian

Hi Brian,

that's what I've read as well.

Deron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..