Iron Tsuba Signed Saito Masayoshi?

Krystian

There were makers from the SAITO family in the EDO HAMANO school, but I don't read MASAYOSHI on your TSUBA. I think I can read ZANE- (with one horizontal stroke missing); the last KANJI before the KAO could indeed be a 'reduced' YOSHI.

But that may be my lack of Japanese.

Thank you so much Jean. I had trouble sleeping thinking about that signature and you pointed me to a good direction. 

It just might be Saito Sanetake? 

https://collections.mfa.org/objects/12079

And I already had Arikawa Sanetake tsuba in the past.....

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=1950696455168229&story_fbid=2197093690528503

Saito Saneyoshi's second family name was Arikawa, same as for your "Sanetake" if it was really Sanetake.

The Arikawa family group made many tsuba mostly in the Mito style. They often signed on small inlaid copper or shakudo plaques with a two kanji name, sometimes more than one artist on the same piece. There is one example with the names of six of the nine recorded members of this family group who signed on the same tsuba. Those names are two Saneharu, Sanekane, Sanekatsu, Saneki, and Saneyoshi (your guy). The three members of the group who did not sign this tsuba are one more Saneharu, Sanemasa, and Saneyuki (no Sanetake). There seems to be about a fifty years span in the ages of these artists, so they were probably brothers and their sons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..