Possible old Tachi

I recently acquired an old sword. The shape is intriguing. Strong sori. I don’t know what possible time period it may be from. Lots of nicks in the Ha and somebody made poor attempt to polish one side of the blade. Confused if possible muramachi, Kamakura or Shinto copy. Will post more pics later. Working a ton of shifts and need to get some sleep.

post-4538-0-79986100-1565718218_thumb.jpeg

I own a Shoshu den hitatsura sword that shows a lot of similarity with yours, though the sori (2.2 cm) is less important. Mine is a shortened Muromachi tachi, so I wouldn’t be surprised if yours was one too.

Saiha is the first thing I thought when I saw your opening photo. In the additional detail pictures I can see areas of the surface flaking off the nakago. It may actually be an early sword, but is difficult to evaluate in this condition (and considering all factors including the large fukure, it would likely not be one worthwhile to restore). 

• Like 1

Exaggerated, unnatural curvature is one of the tells for retemper.  I have seen more than a few blades that probably started life in late Koto or early shinto, that were caught in a fire, and before the retempering they were ground/polished to have a small kissaki; the subsequent strong sori along with the ko-kissaki are meant to fool the unsuspecting into thinking the sword is much earlier.  My best guess is this is one of those swords.

Grey

• Like 1

Not much left in the blade, judging by whats left at the Hamachi and the Kasane.

Pity about those nicks in the edge, last thing it needs.

Can you make out hada or any hamon left?, I cant tell.

As mentioned, might well be an early blade, if so, what to do? :dunno: 

I would get an opinion by someone in hand and take it from there, 

Maybe there is a experienced polisher out there that can give an opinion and possibly do something with it, without hitting you with too much of an hefty bill.

Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..