Soshu possibly?

George, I am sorry but the pictures leave too much to imagination, so its sort of wild guess. Some of the features make me feel its no earlier than mid Momoyama, and possibly substantially later. Hamon has a streak of rather large nie on top, but rather wide and featureless below, something we don't often see on truly old koto pieces.

Without having the sword in hand its even wilder guess, but I would pass on polishing. 

The market is skewed in such a way that with post-1450 blades even if it papers Naotane it gives you a modest profit over the polishing costs, but 95% of the rest is a pure loss.

Kirill R.

The Nakago has a pretty dark thick well established patina that seems to predate most Shinto blades that I have handled. I know that isn’t saying much but is an observation I’ve noted. The double bo hi runs deep into the Nakago as well. The sword has a deep curvature and was possibly koshi zori but now more tori zori I would guess. Quite a bit was cut off the Nakago.

Thanks Grey, I think I will check into that. I wonder how long the wait would be for polish from Bob Benson. I’ve read a lot about him and know he is highly regarded. Btw I bought a book from you Grey a few months ago. It was very informative and interesting especially the signed rare Hiromitsu Tachi found here in Ca in 2003!! Thank again

Hi George.   I agree with Kirill that neither we nor you have enough information.  

You haven't mentioned whether there is a signature on it, and none of the pictures are clear about that.  If it is signed, you should post some photos of the mei, and in any case, if you want more opinions on it, you should post some good pictures of the nakago.  If it is not signed, then it is "osuriage" instead of "suriage", meaning that the mei, if it ever had one, is gone.   

The good news is that the blade seems to be in a very good state of polish.  If it were my sword, I wouldn't dream of sending it to a polisher of any sort until I studied it more and probably not until I sent it to shinsa for a professional opinion, since it is in fine condition for judgement.  It is not that hard to send a sword to one of the NTHK shinsa teams in the US.  If you don't attend the show, you can send the sword to whoever is coordinating the shinsa and they will submit it on your behalf for a small fee.  I have to warn you that there are some purists on the NMB that will argue that the NTHK is a waste of time and any good sword should be sent to the NBTHK first. I have always erred on the side of thinking that more opinions are just more information and eventually I have to make my own mind up based on the summary of the data and input.  I have had mumei swords about which the NTHK and NBTHK had different views.

If you do decide to have it polished, my advice is to send it to a reputable polisher in Japan.  You can do this through Benson or any number of other agents that will handle it for you.  

Finally, it does sort of have a Soshu feel to it, at least based only on the hamon photos. 

Best of luck with it, Bob

• Like 1

Thank you Robert for the clear distinction between suriage and Osuriage. This sword doesn’t seem to have any type of markings on the Nakago besides the double bo hi that runs into the Nakago. I apologize for the poor pics of the Nakago. The is no signature. The only other marking I could find was an (-) or a straight line running horizontally which doesn’t appear to be file marks at the bottom part of the Nakago. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and knowledge on this mystery.

Are you sure it is suriage?  The end of the tang looks kuri or some other shape not typically associated with shortening.  How many holes in the tang.  If you want more guesses on age, we need good close up shots of the tang.  If it hasn't been shortened, that will tell us quite a bit about age.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..