Another ID help for a friend

alamo

Hello again.  I got some help here a few months back identifying the sword my father brought back from WWII and told a friend about it.  His father was a Marine during the war and sent me a couple of pictures of 2 swords his father picked up on Saipan.  He was curious to know something about them. Any help appreciated.  

Thanks,

Tom 

post-4959-0-13892300-1565380112_thumb.jpg

post-4959-0-50648500-1565380126_thumb.jpg

It’s a late war NCO gunto type 95.

Machine made with a wooden handle when raw material was starting to be lacking. There were a few variation of those. That one seems to be the first variation.

The shorter blade, the wakizashi, is almost certainly older than WWII or even the 20th century.  A picture of the nakago (tang) will help with identification.

Grey

Yes, my thought too. At least, it’s in an older koshirae.

Hello,

As Stephen has said...the smaller of of the two swords “ the

old was horse “ is probably left alone and apart from a little bit of preservation is as good as it’s going to get....The larger sword a late war nco’s model is becoming very desirable and a bit of preservation to that blade wouldn’t do any harm...

Regards,

Paul...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..