Virtual Reality of Japanese Swords

I had time today so I paid a visit to TNM and attended the video.

It cost 500 yen (+ museum general admission) and the price includes a free English language voice box thing and headphones.

The video compared two very different national treasure katana, the Mikazuki Munechika (slender, long, elegant) and the Okada Giri Yoshifusa (cut down, robust, dynamic), both currently on display. It was narrated by a member of staff (who looks a bit like a magician!). It started with a summary of both swords vital statistics. It then went through sugata, jitetsu, hamon, boshi and tang comparing all the time, with loads of 3D rotating videos and high resolution pictures to illustrate characteristics and activity such as nioi, utsuri, nijuba etc. The shirasaya got a mention too. Best of all, there was not one cute anime character anywhere to be seen!

Afterwards I went as fast as my little legs could carry me to see the swords in person and was glad of the video as it really brought to life the swords and I kind of felt that I had 30 minutes of private handling and viewing before they went on general display. Unfortunately no photos or recordings are allowed during the video and as everyone knows, Wilson ALWAYS sticks to the rules!! We were allowed to take a pic at the very end which is of the top of the two blades below.

Attached are some pictures to prove I am not making things up. ????

post-14-0-57806100-1565336119_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-34936400-1565336163_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-81514800-1565336196_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-35459800-1565336252_thumb.jpg

I then drooled over the mitsu-tomoe Nobuie, a carp tsuba by Natsuo, a few koshirae from the TNM book and lots of Zen ink paintings.

post-14-0-92060400-1565336296_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-42677000-1565336338_thumb.jpg

All in all, a very splendid day out and I love living in Tokyo!!

PS. Posted on iPhone so some pictures might not be the right way round. Sorry!

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..